High Schoolers'

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by aaronptrck, Jan 25, 2008.

1. aaronptrck macrumors member

aaronptrck

Hey fellow high school students!

I was wondering if your school has a class like I am in or something like it, at my school we call the class "Tech Solutions" and what this class is, it is a 1 person computer class, that to be in it, you have to have extentsive PC, and MAC knowledge, because you go around to different places around campus and fix computers (and this class I get credits for!) And as part of this class I am the only student who gets administrative settings on my account:D Sadly my school is dominated by PC's, but there are like 20 macs (some new aluminum ones too!)

But ya, are any of you in a class like this?

2. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Nothing like that at all. My school offers an AP Computer Science type course, but it doesn't have anything hands on with computers (not sure what it is exactly but i think it is about programming?). My school is likely far too paranoid to let any student have that kind of permission to access the computers that in-depthly. You are subject to multiple detentions for just changing the background from the default blue on the Dell computers, no joke....:(

3. aaronptrck thread starter macrumors member

aaronptrck

LOL!!! My school has the software to go to 10.4 on all machines, versus 10.3, or ever 10.2..... And I tell them that I want to upgrade them all to 10.4, but they won't let me, because they think Apple will find out..... ya right

And may I add if anyone does have this type of class with lots of Macs... set up Apple Remote Desktop.... LOTS of fun managing all of the school's macs, from my administrative computer!

4. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Yeah. I started that three years ago... I get credit for doing this sort of thing at school.

We've called the class "Computer Repair," "Computer Repair 2," and this year, "Multimedia Tech."

Anyway, it's a good way to get credit in place of feeling "used."

5. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

We had one in 2003, our school was full of PCs, we went around fixing, etc. The course was throughout the year and at the end, the people who wanted to could do and sit the exam and become A+ certified.

2004 it ran again this time focused on networks (network +) and get were given a administrator password. But of course there is one in every croud that abused that right and went around disabling users, gaining access to places he shouldn't be. Because of that the course got Canceled

6. MLeepson macrumors 6502

The only "real" computer classes my school offers are Computer Science (1, 2,...)

I've never heard of that (@ first post) in a school, but it sound like cool thing. My school has so many computers, and so many of them are screwed up, but could be fixed very easily.

7. theman macrumors 6502a

no, all the computers in my school are PC's and they're run by this a$$hole guy on a power trip who wears Bush/Cheney '04 T-shirts. They all run some Novell crap and take about 10 minutes to boot up.

8. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

Am I the only one that this screams "free tech support" to?

Seems more like someone just wants the "computer nerds" to fix broken computers/software than to actually call someone to do it.

My old boss used to do that... At least you get something out of it (school credit), I got a boot out the door because he heard I was moving to California...

~Crawn

9. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

We only have

- Applied Electronics I & II (II has a little to do with computers
    - Graphic Design
    - Audio Visual
    - Engineering (CAD stuff in advanced levels)

10. aaronptrck thread starter macrumors member

aaronptrck

To round up all of the responses

It is a lot of fun to take the class, and as toolbox pointed out, the reason why it is just me in this class is because if there were like 15-20 people, they would all have administrative passwords.... and those would spread like a wildfire! There is a LOT of respondsibilty in this class.... cause to be in the class I had to be approved by 4 teacher/principals. And whenever a copy of Safari (or any other app) is found on a Dell.... I get blamed. lol

11. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I'm not in HS anymore but...

We had a class called 'Information Technology' where we learned how to use Microsoft Office and how to type:rolleyes:

12. MLeepson macrumors 6502

My school has that now but it's called Intro to Research. it's terrible. There's a rumor going around that the new principal wants to get rid of it. All we did this quarter was write a five page paper, do a powerpoint on it and then an excel-word-powerpoint thing all together. It's the biggest watst of a semester class

13. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Why are you rolling your eyes towards a keyboarding class? I found mine quite useful and tripled my typing speed. :)

14. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Shouldn't a class called Intro to Research be about the scientific method or doing a literature search or distinguishing primary from secondary sources or or or something...?!?!?!?!? :eek:

15. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

My future HS (I recently moved to Korea) is one of those "International" HS where they speak English. Not sure about free tech support and that but they only have one computer class for the middle school section which they teach multimedia.

My old HS had multiple computer classes and some people would usually come to the MS (when I was still in the district) and fix the computers over there. I don't see much of it anymore.

Classes are...
    Filming (not really computer related but the room is amazing.. Room full of Intel/PPC Mac Pros)
    Computer Science (Old dells, you learn on Turtle Graphics)
    AP CS (Javascript and I think C++)
    Applied Technology (Flash [ActionScript], AutoCAD, Blender, Photoshop, Google SketchUp, and presentations/posters about current/future technology)
    Multimedia kind of thing where they concentrate on photoshop or go more in-depth with than Applied Tech.

16. echozoom macrumors newbie

Yes, I did that for my last couple of years of high school. It wasn't an actual class but I did get some credits for it. It was mostly setting up new machines, installing software, and taking working parts out of broken machines and putting them in another so it would run. It was actually the Macs that I worked with (some OS9/some OSX) and that is what convinced me to get a mac!

17. MLeepson macrumors 6502

Well...we did go the school library for a two class periods. :D
    People think that the class is going to be replaced by an iLife type class, run by the art department. This class (intro to research) usually has teachers from the social studies department.

18. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Nope. Actually we don't have classes at my school. Everything is project and internship based, so anyone could do an internship doing that kind of stuff if they wanted.

19. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

Now that sounds interesting.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the high school I'm going doesn't do anything fun like that. Too many kids(such as me:rolleyes:) would abuse the privilege horribly.

But at my middle school, they're letting me do something like that. Most of the problems we have aren't that bad(only one lab to maintain), but when they do come up, I usually get a shot at it.

I also get to help install the new server we got in a few weeks, and that'll be fun. It's a two hour delay day and I'm going in at the normal time to help, so its not like I'm missing a bunch of classes, but still. I'm excited. :D

20. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

You'd be surprised. You'll find that most teenagers will act more mature when they're treated like adults.

21. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

Yep, had a class created exclusively for me sophomore year. My teacher looked up an old course number and everything. I basically had free range of the school for a period (sometimes two on doubles) fixing things and running computer related errands. It was loads of fun, and sometimes on doubles with nothing to do I'd take my laptop in one of the repair rooms and watch DVDs until the end of the day. Great fun. Also gained some brownie points with administrators so I can get away with screwing around more often.

I still do the same sort of stuff, but unofficially now. I'm also responsible for the sale of ~5-6 laptops to faculty members. I've built quite a reputation and am even currently doing a job for yet another teacher!

Sadly, in our school the computers are almost all Pentium 3s or Celeron Ds. Not too fun to service as they crash all the time. Upkeep is terrible by the school system and the school is basically reliant on people like me to keep them running. Luckily, we got a bunch of dual core pentiums this past summer, so we're at least moving in the right direction.

22. aaronptrck thread starter macrumors member

aaronptrck

HAHA!!! You think that sounds bad? for my final last year I was in a (forigen) Language lab, with 35 Dells, all running windows XP..... on 64mb of memory (and ya, with all the Novell crap!) All of the computers needed sp2 (and 35 updates before sp2) I can't even begin to tell you what hell this was! I would go to 1 computer do something as simple as click the start menu.... it would freeze for a min or two..... I must have spent over 24 hours *not exaggerating .... So Pentium 3's can't be as bad as this lol

23. lozanoj83 macrumors 6502a

lozanoj83

In our class we have 2 IT classes.
    We have Cisco IT Essentials - It's a Freshman course that teaches them about the basics of computers (mouse, keyboard, NIC, etc).

For us Seniors, we have CCNA - Cisco Certified Networking Associate. In a nutshell, its 4 classes, 1 semester each and were only taking 2 of them, CCNA 1 & 2. Its all about Networking, and frankly, dosent appeal to me as much... not a lot of students in my school like it and they detest it, even though were a "Math, Science and Technology" School..

24. doubleohseven macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

As an elective, I could choose an IT class but I didn't. The only reason why was that there were 20 Compaq Computers running XP, and when it was orientation day I got to try them out... :eek:THEY WERE SO SLOW! I chose Visual Arts instead.

Besides, all you would learn in the IT class is how to use applications for Windows. I have a Mac, so there is really no point (unless if I use Parallels or something, but anyway...):rolleyes:

25. apsterling macrumors 6502a

apsterling

I hated mine. But my typing speed went up 20WPM, to about 70. I was considering doing our TechSquad course-a-ma-jig, but I would have had to drop Percussion Ensemble, which is not an option for me.