Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RowlandPym

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2017
I've never bothered with a password for admin status on previous versions of macOS's - a blank password always let me in. Now that I've updated to 10.13.2, I have to give a password. A password that I should have had before. How can I create a password for the administrator without being able to get admin rights to do so?

All suggestions will be gratefully received.

zyzz26

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2017
hi, i never user a password for my user too. but since this update they force you to have a password. they say its so since yosemite which is ********. but you can always change the password from your user

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
It makes sense to have a password for an administrative account.
Otherwise, anyone could get in.

Just make sure it's something you will ALWAYS remember.
Or... write it down and store it somewhere safe.

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
System Preferences > Users & Groups
Select your User > Change password
When it asks for Old password, simply hit return leaving it blank.
Add a new password

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If you get to Users & Groups, and find that you don't have ANY admin user account, only standard accounts, that will be a different problem. We can help with that one, too...

RowlandPym

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2017
hi, i never user a password for my user too. but since this update they force you to have a password. they say its so since yosemite which is ********. but you can always change the password from your user

The problem is to adjust anything in Preferences I have to unlock and to do that, as administrator, I need to have a password for authorising. The padlock remains locked.
[doublepost=1513608215][/doublepost]
It makes sense to have a password for an administrative account.
Otherwise, anyone could get in.

Just make sure it's something you will ALWAYS remember.
Or... write it down and store it somewhere safe.

I realise that now. My black book is full of passwords. But there ain't one for the administrator! My bad!
[doublepost=1513608444][/doublepost]
System Preferences > Users & Groups
Select your User > Change password
When it asks for Old password, simply hit return leaving it blank.
Add a new password

Tried that. But 10.13.2 doesn't fall for that trick either!
[doublepost=1513609014][/doublepost]
If you get to Users & Groups, and find that you don't have ANY admin user account, only standard accounts, that will be a different problem. We can help with that one, too...

Unfortunately, the MackBook Air has an admin account (me) and one other which is a standard account. Does this mean you can't help with this problem?
What's the possibility of going back to a time before I did the update, like one can with MS Windows pc? Is that possible?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Ah, you did not let on that you forgot your admin password :D
You can change that by restarting to your recovery partition. (Restart, holding Command + r)
When you get to the menu screen, launch Terminal (from the Utilities menu)
Type resetpassword, and press enter. The "Reset password" app will open. Follow the simple steps to change your password. (I don't think it is possible now to have no password, or a blank password, once you have set a password, but you can certainly change your login (admin) password to one that you will remember ;)
Quit the resetpassword app when you are done with the change, and restart normally.
You will get a login window on this restart (even if you have set your system to login automatically)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.