High Sierra and MacOs Server 5.3.1

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by The_Nautilus, Jun 14, 2017.

1. The_Nautilus macrumors newbie

The_Nautilus

Anyone using server on their High Sierra beta? I've been contemplating purchasing it but I'm wary of doing so in case they release a newer version that only runs on High Sierra. I don't want to pay twice for server in one year.

2. chrfr macrumors 604

I wouldn't assume that Server 5.3 works on High Sierra. The developer site has a beta.

3. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

The last couple of releases for new OS compatibility have been free updates for existing users. For example, I purchased OS X Server for El Capitan about a week before Sierra came out, and was able to update to Sierra-compatible MacOS Server for free.

Granted, that hasn't always been the case (Mavericks-compatible Server to Yosemite-compatible Server was a paid update). But, considering Sierra to High Sierra is an incremental update, I'd expect Apple will offer it free again.

Edit: It looks like the new beta of MacOS Server is version 5.4 (not 6.0), so that means it's very likely to be a free incremental update when High Sierra is released.

4. The_Nautilus thread starter macrumors newbie

The_Nautilus

Thanks for your input. I'll pull the trigger on the purchase.

5. chrfr macrumors 604

Apple has done this before with betas and then changed the version number at release time. In any case, it's not as if Server is particularly expensive.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 14, 2017 ---
    If you need server functionality you're going to be much better off staying with 10.12.5.

6. mokwai macrumors newbie

Server not working in High Sierra as of 14 July 2017.

7. jzngdt macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Sep 16, 2017 ---
    I'm in the same boat, but I already took the dive on Server a few months ago.
    macOS 5.3.1 doesn't work with the latest High Sierra 10.13 Beta (17A362a). This is the pre-release of High Sierra, so I'm guessing if it doesn't work here and High Sierra is due out in a week or two....
    Maybe Apple will be kind and give us an upgrade.
    I had no issues with Server until this very last beta. There's a beta 5.4, but I can't get my hands on it. :~(

8. Sproctor61 macrumors newbie

Any news on Server yet? MacOS High Sierra was just released but nothing on Server yet :(

9. chrfr macrumors 604

Server updates usually lag by a bit after the OS is released.

10. Phantom-fa macrumors newbie

Phantom-fa

When installing, it says that Server 5.4 is required, but 5.4 is not yet available, so don't upgrade if you need to run Server, until 5.4 appears on App Store.

11. chrfr macrumors 604

It's there now, at least for me.

12. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

Yes, it just showed up under Updates as a free update.

13. Phantom-fa macrumors newbie

Phantom-fa

Yep, I see it now. I was about 4:30 am local when I looked previously, so after a few hours sleep I now have it installed.

14. MatthewAMEL macrumors 6502

MatthewAMEL

WTF happened to the Server app? I just 'updated' to 5.4 and 'Caching', 'File Sharing', 'Time Machine' are all gone from the list of services in the new Server app.

15. jeblis macrumors regular

All of those features are now just part of macOS.