High Sierra Install Issue - Cannot Select Disk

Discussion in 'iMac' started by richard.hughes, Apr 3, 2018.

1. richard.hughes macrumors newbie

richard.hughes

I am doing a fresh install of High Sierra on a 2015 iMac. I am running the install off a current installer file on a USB drive.

The wireless mouse is not connecting. The keyboard only works with basic commands like Spacebar (as return) and Tab (to navigate around the screen), and arrow keys.

I was able to get to the "Select Disk' screen of the installer, but now the keyboard is not working at all. I cannot select the iMac internal drive as the install location as there seems to be no way to press 'return'.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. nambuccaheadsau macrumors 68000

nambuccaheadsau

Always keep a USB keyboard and mouse on hand for software installs. The boot loader fires up prior to Bluetooth it seems.

3. richard.hughes thread starter macrumors newbie

richard.hughes

Well, I have a wired keyboard and it does not work. Any ideas?

4. nambuccaheadsau macrumors 68000

nambuccaheadsau

Where did the Installer come from and what was used to make the drive bootable? And the drive referred to is a thumb drive?

5. richard.hughes thread starter macrumors newbie

richard.hughes

I got the install direct from Apple. Used 'Install Disk Creator' to make the USB drive for the install. All seems fine there.

I just have no access to the wired keyboard or wireless mouse from this particular screen. I use the keyboard basic functions to navigate to the install screen but cannot control that screen itself.

6. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

hmm...
    Shut down, then do an NVRAM reset. Your iMac should still have a boot chime, so hold the Option-Command-p-r keys until you hear the boot chime two times, then release all but Option, so you can pick the installer drive.
    You are wanting to let that reset go through a couple of cycles, so if you don't have a boot chime, just hold the same 4 keys for about 30 seconds, then release all but Option.
    You shouldn't need a USB mouse, but that should fix you up, too, on the destination select screen.

7. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

OP wrote:
    "The wireless mouse is not connecting. The keyboard only works with basic commands like Spacebar (as return) and Tab (to navigate around the screen), and arrow keys.
    Any suggestions?"

Yep.
    Plug in a WIRED mouse and a WIRED keyboard, and try again.

8. richard.hughes thread starter macrumors newbie

richard.hughes

Thanks, but I'm still stuck on that screen. The keyboard stops working there and I cannot go any further. I'll go buy a wired mouse, but even then, I am not sure my wired keyboard will work. Frustrating.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 4, 2018 ---
    I'm using a WIRED keyboard. Not working once I get to the disk select screen. Going to try a wired mouse tomorrow.

9. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

You would not need a keyboard at that point. Just something to select the destination, and the mouse will work for that.

Did you attempt an NVRAM reset?
    Shut power off.
    Press and release the power button, while holding Option-Command-p-r
    Your 2015 iMac should have a boot chime, so keep holding the same 4 keys until you hear the boot chime two more time, then release all keys, except Option. Boot to your installer. I expect it will accept your inputs then.