High Sierra is a brand of backpack

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by Candlelight, Jun 7, 2017.

1. mikecwest macrumors 6502a

mikecwest

Soon it will be owned by Apple, and discontinued.

Seriously, I doubt they have a claim. There is already precedent in cases like that....Nobody is going to walk into Big 5 Sporting goods, and accidentally buy MacOS instead of a backpack, and nobody is going to buy a backpack to install in their Mac. They had the issues many years ago with Apple Records.

2. saudor macrumors 6502a

so i cant install this backpack i just bought on my computer? damn. Guess I'll go back to downloading some more RAM.

3. HallStevenson macrumors 6502a

HallStevenson

If I'm not mistaken, at least in regards to US trademark rules, companies can use the same 'name' as long as the products aren't similar. Sure, that can be a grey area in some cases, but as 'mike' said, there's no confusion between a computer operating system and backpacks.

Look at Delta Faucets and Delta Airlines, Gerber knives and Gerber baby food, Monster Cables and Monster energy drink, Domino's Pizza and Domino Sugar, and so on.

4. AustinIllini macrumors G3

AustinIllini

Right. Like Apple Records and Apple Computer could coexist and did coexist for many years without issue. Apple Records only sued Apple once it moved into the music industry with iTunes. I believe the case was settled out of court.

5. mikecwest macrumors 6502a

mikecwest

It was a long complicated battle......https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Corps_v_Apple_Computer

6. AustinIllini macrumors G3

AustinIllini

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yikes, that's a bad one to mix up :p

8. RabidMacFan macrumors regular

High Sierra is a place in California. Also, the "High Sierra" backpack company is in a completely different industry than Apple, so I doubt there is a case for copyright violation (Which is what I think you are trying to get at).

9. mikecwest macrumors 6502a

mikecwest

Instead of a spoon, I used my Gerber knife to feed the baby, I thought they belonged together.

10. rraven macrumors newbie

rraven

High Sierra is also a clothing line, in book titles dating back a century or more, a CD-ROM (remember those?) format, a trail, a film, multiple food and gift chains, and no doubt many other things. I remember seeing it regularly when I was living/climbing in California in the 70s. Making a general claim on High Sierra feels like it would be right up there with trying to control all uses of the word "windows."

11. SDColorado macrumors 68020

SDColorado

I was just going to mention the film. 1941 film noir heist flick staring Ida Lupino and Humphrey Bogart. Based on the novel High Sierra by W.R. Burnett

12. Starship67 macrumors 6502a

Starship67

There is also a brand of hiking boots Called High Sierra. Also they are no longer around but Mervyns department store (if anyone remembers) one of their best store brands was High Sierra.