High Sierra: Opening DMG displays wrong DMG name

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by EugW, Sep 29, 2017.

1. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

I’ve noticed this once now, if I’ve opened DMG ABC before, later on if I open DMG XYZ, it will open with ABC’s name but contains all of XYZ’s content. However, the content will be inaccessible.

The only fix is a reboot.

I saw someone else report this too so I’m not alone.

2. Merode macrumors 6502a

Merode

Yeah, same here. You can mount ABC, and then XYZ (without unmounting ABC) will open with proper name.

3. EugW thread starter macrumors 603

EugW

I can't seem to recreate the circumstances required to make it happen. But when it did, it just seemed safer to reboot.

Good to see your workaround, but it would make me nervous depending on a workaround for dmg files.

4. fisherking macrumors 604

fisherking

happening here today too. i already deleted ABC; will either reboot (which worked this morning) or redownload ABC.

5. AslashA macrumors newbie

Nobody could fix this problem? Tired every time to restart the computer :mad:

6. EugW thread starter macrumors 603

EugW

IIRC, I haven’t had this problem since 10.13. We are now on 10.13.3.

7. fisherking macrumors 604

fisherking

same here, all good...

8. AslashA macrumors newbie

Do you have apfs or hfs +?

9. EugW thread starter macrumors 603

EugW

Both. I use HFS+ on my old unsupported machines (MacBook5,1 & MacBookPro5,5), and APFS on my new machines (MacBook10,1 & iMac18,3).

All of them are running 10.3.3.

10. fisherking macrumors 604

fisherking

apfs on both macs, and dmgs seem fine, on both...

11. AslashA macrumors newbie

maybe it's only on a hackintosh?

12. EugW thread starter macrumors 603

EugW

Dunno, but with Hackintosh, all bets are off.

All four of my machines are real Macs, but two of them aren't officially supported by 10.13. Nonetheless, all of the machines are running fine, and I no longer have the dmg issue on any of the machines. Actually, I also have a 5th machine - an iMac11,3 - that is also running fine in 10.13.3, but since it's only being used as an external monitor, it's hard to say. I don't actually use it as a real Mac, just as a monitor. But the few times I've opened dmg files on it with the last couple of versions of 10.13, they were fine.

13. AslashA macrumors newbie

Do you have hdd hfs + on your computer except apfs? At me APFS ssd (OS) and HFS+ hdd (Data). Maybe this is the conflict between apfs and nfs+?

14. Merode macrumors 6502a

Merode

I've had this issue with initial version of 10.13 - before supplemental update. I have then reinstalled 10.12 and returned when 10.13.2 was released.

Either they have fixed it in some update between 10.13 and 10.13.2 or reinstall fixed the issue.

I do not have hackintosh.

15. AslashA macrumors newbie

No. They have not fixed this problem so far in 10.13.3((

16. Merode macrumors 6502a

Merode

So reinstall must have fixed the issue for me.

17. EugW thread starter macrumors 603

EugW

Yeah but don’t you have a Hackintosh?

18. FatalFallacy macrumors member

Did you guys check for orphaned or duplicate entries (stuck mountpoints) in the /Volumes/ directory, which may cause the mismatches mentioned?

When macOS/OS X tries to mount a .dmg (or any drive) it does it by default with creating a directory in /Volumes and then mounting it to that point (so a drive gets accessible at /Volumes/NAME_OF_DISK_OR_DMG).

Sometimes it happens that the /Volumes/ directory includes (duplicate) directories or left overs, even if the originating drive or dmg has been successfully unmounted in the meanwhile, leading to situations where (inaccessible) ghost drives or wrongly named drives appear when remounting.

The Volumes directory then may include several orphaned directories (/Volumes/NAME_OF_DMG, /Volumes/NAME_OF_DMG-1, /Volumes/NAME_OF_DMG-2, r other strangely named entries or unknown drive names etc.)

To get rid of these (if existing):
    • Verify all drives and dmg have been unmounted (check with 'diskutil list' or the disk utility to be sure).
    • Check the contents of /Volumes/ e.g. with 'ls -laF /Volumes'. There should only be one here with the name of your startup disk (/Volumes/NAME_OF_STARTUP_DISK )
    • Delete the remaining (orphaned) directories 'sudo rm -rf ORPHANED_DIR'.
      (As always, the necessary disclaimer to use a sudo rm -rf with all your caution!)

19. ArcticCascade macrumors newbie

ArcticCascade

I've just erased my MBP ssd and reinstalled High Sierra, and I've just run into this issue for the first time.
    Clearly it hasn't been fixed in any recent update.

20. fisherking macrumors 604

fisherking

works fine here, both macs (maybe fixed in the current beta...)

21. EugW thread starter macrumors 603

EugW

Thanks. Something to keep in mind.

Arrggh...

I haven't noticed it recently on 10.13.3, but then again I haven't been using very many disk images simultaneously recently either. I was using disk images a lot more early on for software installs, etc.

22. csurfr macrumors 68020

Happened when I first set up a 13” 2017 Pro with Chrome / Brackets / Adobe CC Installer. It was indeed very strange.

This was after updating to 10.3.3