Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fbx1989

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2017
Just curious. I tried the initial public beta and fell back shortly to Sierra because of troubles. Wondering if the current public beta is ready for daily use?

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008
That is a subjective determination as it depends on what you do on your Mac. The current beta is good for me. A previous release was OK for my laptop but not my desktop.

There are bugs in every release. If none of the bugs affect you then it is ready. If one prevents you from doing your work then it is not.

Apple maintains a list of known bugs and makes a release decision based on what they think is acceptable.

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
I agree this is a personal call. High Sierra is going to be a great OS.

In my personal opinion, it is not ready for usage on production machines. With that said, I'm of the opinion that most new OS' are not ready for production machines until they have been out for at least several months and had several major updates. I feel Sierra was a clear illustration of that with the graphical and battery issues that some Users experienced (which were resolved - but it took a little time to do so.)

As High Sierra brings in the infant filesystem APFS, and its use is now mandatory with flash storage, IMO this is a release to wait longer on than normal. APFS will be awesome, but it will not be perfect overnight, and even beta testing can't account for everything. There's also no DiskWarrior to fall back on. Those upgrading on day one have hopefully made an informed decision, do not depend 100% on that sole system for their livelihood, and hopefully have made bootable images that they can use to restore should something major not go right!

Reactions: Mr Todhunter

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I agree this is a personal call. High Sierra is going to be a great OS.

In my personal opinion, it is not ready for usage on production machines. With that said, I'm of the opinion that most new OS' are not ready for production machines until they have been out for at least several months and had several major updates. I feel Sierra was a clear illustration of that with the graphical and battery issues that some Users experienced (which were resolved - but it took a little time to do so.)
I agree with this. For an end user, with mainstream usage, I think the latest High Sierra beta is ready... but only as ready as previous macOS / OS X releases have been at the GM release. That is to say I wouldn't want to jump in so soon if I were say an IT manager or something, but that's true of any .0 release.

However, there is one additional caveat:

As High Sierra brings in the infant filesystem APFS, and its use is now mandatory with flash storage, IMO this is a release to wait longer on than normal. APFS will be awesome, but it will not be perfect overnight, and even beta testing can't account for everything. There's also no DiskWarrior to fall back on. Those upgrading on day one have hopefully made an informed decision, do not depend 100% on that sole system for their livelihood, and hopefully have made bootable images that they can use to restore should something major not go right!
The caveat to my endorsement of the current High Sierra beta is that I'm doing my testing on HFS+. I have not extensively tested APFS. The part that worries me is Apple forcing users to switch to APFS if their Macs have built-in SSDs.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Just curious. I tried the initial public beta and fell back shortly to Sierra because of troubles. Wondering if the current public beta is ready for daily use?
For my usage, it's pretty stable EXCEPT:
  1. APFS (Encrypted) with FileVault: Nothing but trouble. Disk Utility locks up (even after 2 hours), Software Update sometimes fails requiring a clean install (happened even on the most recent beta), and causes VMWare Fusion disk image to become corrupted frequently. Regular APFS seems okay.
  2. Photos app: My volume is on an external disk and it just doesn't work quite right. It frequently decides, seemingly out of the blue, to resync my iCloud Photo Library for no good reason, which takes a long time since my library is 1 TB. And whatever background processing it's doing takes forever.

Reactions: rekhyt

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
Given that APFS is a mandatory (Apple removed the option to skip the conversion recently) new filesystem I am not in hurry to upgrade to High Sierra in any time soon. While it has clear improvements compared to HFS+ I had too many problems with an external SSD to trust it at this point.

That said High Sierra has potential assuming Apple fixes APFS and other bugs.

I usually wait 3 or 4 updates before I consider installing new OS on my main Mac. This time its likely I will wait longer and give APFS time to mature.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Given that APFS is a mandatory (Apple removed the option to skip the conversion recently) new filesystem I am not in hurry to upgrade to High Sierra in any time soon. While it has clear improvements compared to HFS+ I had too many problems with an external SSD to trust it at this point.

That said High Sierra has potential assuming Apple fixes APFS and other bugs.

I usually wait 3 or 4 updates before I consider installing new OS on my main Mac. This time its likely I will wait longer and give APFS time to mature.
I will update my main iMac (and my MacBook) very early this time around because my iOS 11 iPhone camera's pictures and movies are completely unreadable on Sierra.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I will update my main iMac (and my MacBook) very early this time around because my iOS 11 iPhone camera's pictures and movies are completely unreadable on Sierra.
Good point. A strong clue that iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra will ship simultaneously (unless Sierra gains HEIF and HEVC support as well).

It's too bad APFS Encrypted volume is so buggy. I think many folks will report serious problem.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Good point. A strong clue that iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra will ship simultaneously (unless Sierra gains HEIF and HEVC support as well).

It's too bad APFS Encrypted volume is so buggy. I think many folks will report serious problem.

When I got my new MBP (2016) I did not use encryption on the SSD. If I decide to update I hope I don't see APFS issues.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017

I usually don't encrypt, but in the case of High Sierra I am definitely not even considering encryption, given the various negative reports.

I guess the good news is non-encrypted APFS volumes have reportedly generally been OK, and also, Apple at least does have the experience of having millions of iOS devices on APFS.

Reactions: whsbuss

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
I usually don't encrypt, but in the case of High Sierra I am definitely not even considering encryption, given the various negative reports.

I guess the good news is non-encrypted APFS volumes have reportedly generally been OK, and also, Apple at least does have the experience of having millions of iOS devices on APFS.

I heard APFS has folder level encryption. Is that also buggy ?

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I'd say it's ready, although I had issues with the install (I only moved from Sierra to HS a few days ago, so skipped most of the betas). I'd recommend turning off Filevault (if you use it) and enabling it again after (if you want to use it - I do recommend it).

Having said that, there's an option in iOS11 under Settings/Photos to transfer photos with automatic conversion so there should be no problem in Sierra getting Photos from your iPhone, plus there really isn't much difference (that I've noticed) between Sierra and High Sierra anyway. Safari has some nice new features (such as blocking autoplay videos) but you can get Safari 11 as a beta for Sierra anyway, so that didn't change for me when I upgraded the O/S.

Due to the issue I had (probably just being impatient and rebooting at a bad time) during the upgrade while I had Filevault on I got to try out a full restore from Time Machine for the first time ever. Worked perfectly. Phew.

Reactions: RiderX

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Having said that, there's an option in iOS11 under Settings/Photos to transfer photos with automatic conversion so there should be no problem in Sierra getting Photos from your iPhone, plus there really isn't much difference (that I've noticed) between Sierra and High Sierra anyway.
That totally defeats the point of the new file formats. Also, it degrades quality.

eyvind

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006

All iOS devices are encrypted though.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I heard APFS has folder level encryption. Is that also buggy ?
I don't think folder/file level encryption is a user facing feature. At least, I couldn't figure out a way to encrypt a file or folder.

csicilia

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2016
I can not think on having non encrypted disk, target disk feature is too dangerous. I am looking forward for High Sierra but I can not upgrade without encryption, I want to think that Apple is not going to release it without it working correctly.

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
Anyone else notice that Apple's website for High Sierra states a "Spring 2018" release date?

Am I late to the party on this info?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Anyone else notice that Apple's website for High Sierra states a "Spring 2018" release date?

Am I late to the party on this info?
Where? This is what I see:

Apple said:
New technologies at the heart of the system make your Mac more reliable, capable and responsive — and lay the foundation for future innovations. macOS High Sierra also refines the features and apps you use every day. It’s macOS at its highest level yet.

Coming this fall.
In any case, the changes to file formats in iOS 11 pretty much guarantee that High Sierra will be out around the same time, as in within two weeks from today. I summarized that in this thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-be-released-when-ios-11-is-released.2065305/

prisstratton

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
I had not noticed the release date before, but the way things are moving that seem's a little unrealistic.
High Sierra Apple Notes.jpg

At the bottom of this page:

https://www.apple.com/ca/macos/high-sierra-preview/

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I had not noticed the release date before, but the way things are moving that seem's a little unrealistic.
View attachment 716455

At the bottom of this page:

https://www.apple.com/ca/macos/high-sierra-preview/
That's for the eGPU.

Virtual reality for Mac.
It’s a whole new world.

macOS High Sierra lets developers create interactive virtual reality experiences on Mac for the first time, using the new iMac with Retina 5K display, the new iMac Pro coming in late 2017, or any supported Mac paired with an external GPU.3

prisstratton

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

So, back to the original question…..is this ready for prime time.

For me, that would be a very solid YES.

But……..

As so many people have already indicated this seem’s to be very subjective. I can only report what I have experienced so far and that everything for me has been totally solid. I have not had any issues of any type and even though many people reported issues with encrypted volumes using APFS, I have not seen any problem in that regard either.

The way things are looking for me right now I will be upgrading my existing Mavericks installation without any hesitation.

From a personal standpoint I have been quite thrilled with this release. I tried both Yosemite and El Cap on my MBP and they were horrendous (for me). I went back to my Mavs installation and never even paid any attention to Sierra. However, I have been concerned about “being left behind” from a security point of view and now it seems that I can finally catch up.

Reactions: adrianlondon
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.