High speed connection--now what?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mgguy, Jan 19, 2008.

1. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

I just upgraded to DSL high speed internet. I was using dial-up and due to the slow speed was not able to do much with video and audio sites. Now that I have high speed, I don't have a clue what to do with it. Any ideas? What have I been missing out on (like YouTube, etc.)? How did your internet experience change as a result of upgrading to a higher connection speed?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Torrents torrents torrents!

iTunes movie rental/buying is now possible

3. mrock macrumors member

For me, it's mostly the always-on availability.

However, having had to resort to dialup on a few occasions, the speed is a big difference! It's being able to have several windows open without waiting ten minutes for things to load. If I find a song on iTunes I'd like, I can have it within 10 seconds for example.

It's also the versatility of then being able to share the broadband over WiFi and wander the house and garden with a laptop. In our student flat we also opted not to have a phone line but do VoIP instead. We also have an Xbox 360 on XBox Live.

You'll wonder how you ever managed without it before you realise!

4. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Well there's 'no-dialing' in the network...

And you be able to launch the internet browser anytime that you'd like.. High speed internet aka cable modem from cable company ...

I've been a High-speed 'net user for 15 years+ and i'll never go back to dial-up service (AOL etc).... :D p2p

To get the best results from HSI (High Speed Internet) is to use the ethernet port on the modem to the machine if it's 1 machine only.. If there's several then use a wireless router... The names are mentioned on here allot is: Linksys dLink Netgear Apple Airport Extreme ...

5. silbeej macrumors 6502a

Being online 24/7 is the best improvement over dial up. Aim is on all the time, it is wonderful.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The phone is not in use, and you can connect a bunch of computers at once.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

what is this thing you call Dial-up?

The biggest thing is once you get used to it going back to dial up speed will make you sick. I take forgranted that I can open up 10+ tabs in firefox and they all load with out a problem. All this while I am downloading massive files. Depending on your bandwith is how good things will be.
    I am running on a 6Mmps download line and dropping down to 1.5 is painful for me because of what I am used 2.

Either way you will get so used to always on internet. That is I think the biggest plus is being able to check something on the net at the drop of a hat.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Welcome to 1999 :D

What you've missed out on:
    • A video of 2 girls, a cup, and other unspeakable acts
    • A video of someone screaming "Don't taze me bro!"
    • Picture of Britney Spears without underwear which might have led to the next item on this list
    • A video of someone yelling at us to "leave Britney alone!"
    • Numerous celebrity sex tapes
    • Thousands of pictures of owls with funny captions
    • Thousands of pictures of cats with funny captions
    • The d**k in a box video
    • Chuck Norris Facts
    Yeah.....you really didn't miss much

9. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

He needs to see 2 girls, one finger too. :eek: :D

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut