High Speed Elevators

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Plutonius, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

An elevator in a new building in China hit a top speed of 47 MPH. I could see some people avoiding the
    elevator / building while others seeking it out.

What's your opinion on high speed elevators (if any) ?

2. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

The article doesn't mention acceleration/deceleration rate. That's of more interest to me, since I don't want to be thrown against the ceiling or flatten against the floor. I assume it would do so at a reasonable rate for the average businessman (middle aged, overweight and out of shape;)).

3. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

That's true. I wonder if this new speed record (from a operational elevator (i.e. not in free fall)) is going up or down over how many floors. Could you imagine 47 MPH for one floor :) ?

4. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

It's probably either way. Again, the concern is acceleration.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I assume it would be top speed from first to top floor. I would hope it's not going from floor 2 to 7 at 47mph.

6. antolex macrumors newbie

antolex

I just hope they have a good pressure control system. I hate the ear pops

7. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I kinda don't like it when they slow down or seem almost to pause during what one senses should still be the express part of the journey; you can almost but not quite feel weightlessness approaching, which at least to me engraves the rather dismaying image of being at the vertex of a parabola :eek: upon my brain.

I think some of them don't even have indicators of what floors are being passed, just an array of call buttons that stay lit when pressed until the elevator door opens at the selected floors.

8. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

We have an elevator at work. Takes a good minute or two to go up or down the 1 floor journey. Ear popping? More like teeth grinding.

And yes it only gets used if moving something on a trolley like the new server I took upstairs earlier.

9. Tech198 macrumors G4

well... i still wanna get home alive.... A sudden emergency stop would see u shoot through the top.

High speed stuff is always good, but use them at will when makes sense..

I don't mind traveling on longer stretch on a train going at 200Mph when it'll take me 5 minute sto get to destination....

Compare that with elevators, the distance between floors is really not that big... so a microsecond is meaningless, unless u really gotta go.

10. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

But if it fell down you could survive if you time your jump right! :p

11. Zenithal macrumors 68040

The issue with high speed trains unlike high speed elevators is that with trains you're likely buckled in. In an accident, your internal organs would be traveling at the prior speed while your exterior would remain fairly restrained. Mixed giblets, anyone?

12. Tech198 macrumors G4

lol.. just make sure u have very quick timing to get off at your floor..

13. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Either way not pretty. Quick stop of a high speed elevator turns the elevator roof into a meat mallet unless there's some counter-momentum mechanism. Chicken kiev...

When I was interviewing applicants for a clerical position once, working from an 53rd-floor office, I took a phone call from an applicant who had entered the lobby and stopped to inquire if the position itself was located where the interview was, or if the firm has offices on various floors. I thought the question odd, but answered that the job would be on same floor as the interview. She apologized and declned to come up: fear of heights.

I didn't share her dislike for that scenic perch we had up there overlooking Park Avenue, but have to say that in the November 1965 power blackout that hit the whole northeast chunk of North America, that gig of eventually having to walk down 53 flights of stairs, in the almost dark of just EXIT lights at each landing, was a piece of work. I did think about that woman on that occasion: she probably worked at some street-level establishment and was home in bed while I was still telling myself hey another ten blocks of this hike uptown and you could stop at 79th for cold pizza if they have any left... or there's that place at 86th... or the one at 103rd... at least it was an amazingly balmy night for November.

Anyway I told myself I was lucky not to have been trapped in an elevator that night. There were some cases where firemen had to chop into express tunnels to get some people out of elevator cars in motion when the lights went out and they could not winch the cars to an express landing. That is the sort of thing that does make you think... at least for awhile... about such things next time you do get into an elevator -- high speed or otherwise.

14. Gregg2 macrumors 603

...or worse yet, from 2 to 1 ;)