High swap used new macbook

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by NZfly, Aug 14, 2014.

1. NZfly macrumors member

Hi guys i've just got the new rmbp 13 inch base model with 8 gigs what I'm confused is when i look in activity monitor even with safari only having two tabs open I'm getting like 300 mb swap used. I thought that swap was only meant to be used when the system doesn't have enough ram but it's only showing 4 gigs currently being used I've tried restarting and that hasn't helped. any ideas?

thanks

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

300 megabytes is tiny for swap files. Its probably some house keeping stuff the OS needs to maintain the swap file.

I have 16GB and I have a similar situation.

3. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Don't worry about the swap file--my rMBP acquires a large swap after running a week or so--using over 2GB now--and that is probably why Apple redesigned the Activity Monitor and added Memory Pressure--and color coded it. My memory pressure is very low and always green. :D

4. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

300MB most likely is caused by some system activity, not a real swap usage. Even though it's real, that's tiny as malfynn said.

Someone has 16G of RAM, most of the RAM still free, but also has that 300MB swap indication. No need to worry about that.