High Temp, should I be concerned

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jmathews05, Dec 1, 2010.

1. jmathews05 macrumors newbie

I've had my MBP for roughly 6 months now. Purchased in April of 2010. It's a 15" with an i5. Recently I started playing more games on my mac, WoW, Sims, Flight Simulators, ect.. I just recently started to notice my CPU temp reaching upwards of 88C. I have exhausted all my efforts trying to search through google for know issues or if this is common and not a concern. I was wondering if the heat sink could of came loose. I downloaded smcFanControl and when I'm running the games I turn the fan rpm to max. When surfing the net, emails, and just basic everyday stuff it's idle in the 30sC. Can someone please calm my nerves. Yes I came from PC to mac this year so still trying to understand everything.
    Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

Those are normal temperatures, especially as games are CPU intensive and high CPU use, especially in such a confined space, will result in more heat, but the CPUs are designed to withstand those temperatures.

3. jmathews05 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is the CPU in these Macs different then in desktops? What makes them capable of withstanding such temperatures but on desktops anything that high people get worried and terrified about?

4. Nukauk macrumors newbie

You can install smcFancontrol. It will take of it :)

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Modern CPUs can stand heats of up to 105c according to Intel (that's the temp when they should shut themselves down)

6. jmathews05 thread starter macrumors newbie

Already downloaded and installed smcFanControl. I guess I won't take it to the nearest apple store when I get back home then

7. simsaladimbamba

They are mobile CPUs, like in most other mobile computers. They use less power (TDP), around 35W. CPUs in desktop computers can withstand such temperatures too, as they have a much higher power usage (around 90W), but also more space to dissipate the heat.