High temperature under Windows 7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kanon14, Mar 10, 2009.

1. kanon14 macrumors regular

kanon14

I don't know of anyone has experienced this but my 15" 2.53Ghz MBP seems to overheat under Windows 7. The CPU temp is around 60 degrees and GPU near 70 degrees, but all I'm doing is downloading and installing game updates. And even under such high temperature the fan doesn't kick in. I"m wondering if there's something wrong with it. I cannot track/control any fan using speedfan either. Any suggestion?

2. POX macrumors member

POX

3. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Solution

I think that what is happening is that Windows 7 is running on the beta drivers, and that the Mac OSX disk that has the Windows drivers on them have not been made compatible with Windows 7. The operating system does not have the right, full-featured drivers, and therefore the OS cannot use the hardware sensors to their full extent. As far as I know, Windows 7 is a far less bloated Windows version that Windows Vista is, and I never have temperatures that high unless I'm playing a game... Try to go to the Apple website and typing in ' Windows 7 drivers.' It just might work.

4. kanon14 thread starter macrumors regular

kanon14

Thanks for your replies. I think the problem is that the fans won't kick in unless the GPU is getting hotter. When I went into a game under Windows 7, in just 2-3 minutes the fan kicks in and stay strong, while the temperatures for both CPU and GPU never go beyond 80 degrees.

5. joaquinw macrumors newbie

Maybe a solution

Hello all, I had the same problem using my MacBook so I created an Aplication to regulate the temperature based on all the important sensors.
    So if you want to test it here is the link.

Alpha version 1.0
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/ifanautocontrol/

Regards :cool:

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

@joaquinw

Pretty sure Apple has updated bootcamp drivers since 2009.

7. Diamondaine macrumors newbie

Actually im using Win7 with my i7 2,66 MBP for Gaming.

At Idle i have around 60°C, thats normal because Apple leaves the Fans at 2000rpm until the CPU and GPU reach a certain Temperature (lets say 80°C in that case), then the Fans start to be controled, depending on the temperature, and they will cool my MBP with about 75°C Cpu and around the same for the GPU.

And actually my MBP handles every Game I play (CoD 4,5,6,7; Trackmania; Test Drive Unlimited 2 (which is very new); Half Life; Left 4 Dead; NFS)

Diamondaine :apple:

8. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

If its just in Windows, have you tried getting the latest drivers from the manufacturers websites? And now the out of date Apple ones.

9. joaquinw macrumors newbie

Well I bought the computer on mid of 2010 and the driver are the last, and i update the boot camp, but my problem continu so this is the reason for my app.
    If you have a MacBook 7,1 and have running Windows 7 OS, let me know how you solve the temperature issue?.
    Thanks. :confused: