High temperature when connected to external screen

salivan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2015
I've MacBook Pro 2017 `13 (touch, so with 2x coolers) attached to a 4k dell monitor via usb-c <-> display port.
I've noticed that mac gets unconfortably hot in this mode of operation.

- This is not a clamshell mode, I use macbook with keyboard and have screen right behind it.
- I tried using left or right side usb-c, result is the same.
- Once I disconnect screen, everything goes to normal.
- Data is in Celsius.
- Once left / right die gets hot, it warms up everything, but result is pretty immediate.

Do you guys see the same results?
Could this be a cable problem?

Attachments

Khaleal

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2013
GPUs in 13” models aren’t powerful enough to drive 4k displays (regardless of what Apple says), so they work hard and overheat

Reactions: deadworlds

salivan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2015
GPUs in 13” models aren’t powerful enough to drive 4k displays (regardless of what Apple says), so they work hard and overheat
I had 2014 13 pro (base) drive this same screen without overheating @52mhz.

This is 2017 i7 model, by all benchmarks this GPU is way faster. So I don't buy that narative.

I can also see load on GPU, when monitor is connected and it is not significant.

What irks me is that thunderbolt (left/right) sensor reports high temp which then disipates in chasis, which hightens the overall temps.

leman

macrumors G4
Oct 14, 2008
I don't see any overheating whatsoever on your graphs, but you also don't show the CPU temperature. Overheating occurs when your machine heats up above 100C.

In general, temperature will be higher when running an external monitor because the GPU is forced into a higher-power mode. The TB controller temperature in the graph you show is slightly higher simply because the controller is operating actively.
[doublepost=1551256382][/doublepost]
These GPUs have more than enough power to fully redraw a 4K display hundreds a times per seconds. Comments like these are completely ludicrous.

Reactions: deadworlds

salivan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2015
I don't see any overheating whatsoever on your graphs, but you also don't show the CPU temperature. Overheating occurs when your machine heats up above 100C.

In general, temperature will be higher when running an external monitor because the GPU is forced into a higher-power mode. The TB controller temperature in the graph you show is slightly higher simply because the controller is operating actively.
[doublepost=1551256382][/doublepost]

These GPUs have more than enough power to fully redraw a 4K display hundreds a times per seconds. Comments like these are completely ludicrous.
Yes you are right, it is not overheating. At 52C (CPU) chasis becomes really uncomfortable to use, pulm sweathing is what I complain about :)

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Seeing temps in the mid to high 50s isn't a bad thing. I think many people using a 15" would love see those temps.

hasis becomes really uncomfortable to use, pulm sweathing is what I complain about
If you're already using an external monitor, why not use an external keyboard then

Reactions: Queen6 and chabig

leman

macrumors G4
Oct 14, 2008
Yes you are right, it is not overheating. At 52C (CPU) chasis becomes really uncomfortable to use, pulm sweathing is what I complain about :)
Can you post a screenshot of the CPU temperature? Your previous one only shows TB controllers...

salivan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2015
Seeing temps in the mid to high 50s isn't a bad thing. I think many people using a 15" would love see those temps.

If you're already using an external monitor, why not use an external keyboard then
Trying to integrate touch bar in my workflow, but I guess its not worth it :/

leman

macrumors G4
Oct 14, 2008
Ah well, that's the temps I see at idle :D Its very strange that your machine should get uncomfortably hot when running at those temps. The surface temperature should be close to your body temperature under those circumstances.

salivan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2015
Ah well, that's the temps I see at idle :D Its very strange that your machine should get uncomfortably hot when running at those temps. The surface temperature should be close to your body temperature under those circumstances.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ no clue, I usually don't look at temps, but since this was getting uncomfortable I started looking at stats. The only thing I can say is that palm rest sensor goes to 34C, this is the spot where my hand start sweating.

There could be some weird temp feedback loop between my hands and the machine :)

Queen6

macrumors 604
Ambient temp is pretty high and the fans are at near minimum speed, so no surprise that the case is uncomfortably hot. Best you can do is elevate the rear and if possible take manual control of the fans, increase based RPM to 2.5K-3K.

Cooling solution isn't really doing anything effective as the CPU/GPU temp is too low, the rest is just radiated heat absorbed by the aluminium chassis.

Q-6

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
OP:
Are you running the external display at full 4k resolution, or are you using a scaled resolution?

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
California
I use my MBP 13' TB with an external monitor all the time - granted, it isn't 4k, but it gets warm. In clamshell mode the fans won't turn on but the battery temp is 97F. When laptop opened, I'll see 88-92F battery temps (the only temperature I really monitor). In clamshell mode, definitely external mouse and keyboard.

I got a laptop stand so I can put my laptop up near eye-level with an external mouse/keyboard - am really enjoying it.

Found that this MBP likes a little breathing space between a flat surface itself - so if using clamshell mode, get a cheap stand that keeps it vertical. Found the metal laptop stand actually helps the laptop dissipate heat too. :/

salivan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2015
OP:
Are you running the external display at full 4k resolution, or are you using a scaled resolution?
full 4k, that is 2x hd.
[doublepost=1551296978][/doublepost]
I use my MBP 13' TB with an external monitor all the time - granted, it isn't 4k, but it gets warm. In clamshell mode the fans won't turn on but the battery temp is 97F. When laptop opened, I'll see 88-92F battery temps (the only temperature I really monitor). In clamshell mode, definitely external mouse and keyboard.

I got a laptop stand so I can put my laptop up near eye-level with an external mouse/keyboard - am really enjoying it.

Found that this MBP likes a little breathing space between a flat surface itself - so if using clamshell mode, get a cheap stand that keeps it vertical. Found the metal laptop stand actually helps the laptop dissipate heat too. :/
Yeah, I've the stand too, it works, but I wanted to use Touch Bar and finger print reader... if I use it on external mouse/keyboard this feature becomes useless :)

Reactions: BigMcGuire

bernuli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
My 2015 actually runs at least 5 degrees celsius cooler in clamshell mode when driving an external 4K display. Obviously the graphics card does not have to work as hard with the internal display off so less heat.

Depending on room tempterature, I usually see 51C with MacBook lid open and screen on. 45C with lid closed and clamshelling a 4K NEC display. That is referencing the Graphics Processor Temperature Diode, but all the temps are a bit cooler in clamshell.

Either way best to use a laptop stand, as that will keep temps a few degrees cooler over time. If the laptop is on a desk, then it heats up the surrounding area and temps will climb after an hour.

This one is my favorite to date:

https://www.raindesigninc.com/mstand360.html

But there a bunch to choose from at OWC.

Last edited:

salivan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2015
57 Celsius is nothing. I wouldn't sweat it.
pun intended? My palms are literally sweating :D
[doublepost=1551336993][/doublepost]
My 2015 actually runs at least 5 degrees celsius cooler in clamshell mode when driving an external 4K display. Obviously the graphics card does not have to work as hard with the internal display off so less heat.

Depending on room tempterature, I usually see 51C with MacBook lid open and screen on. 45C with lid closed and clamshelling a 4K NEC display. That is referencing the Graphics Processor Temperature Diode, but all the temps are a bit cooler in clamshell.

Either way best to use a laptop stand, as that will keep temps a few degrees cooler over time. If the laptop is on a desk, then it heats up the surrounding area and temps will climb after an hour.

This one is my favorite to date:

https://www.raindesigninc.com/mstand360.html

But there a bunch to choose from at OWC.
This is the stand I have: 61K8oQ0-z1L._SL1000_.jpg
I prefer it to full body stands, as heat dissipates better.