High temps and throttling while gamming rMBP 15

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by burgui, Jun 22, 2013.

1. burgui macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

Do any of you have this problem?

While playing games on bootcamp the temps of my rMBP goes up to 100ºC or even more, here some pics while playing tera:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Because of this the throttling starts, and the game becomes unplayable (you can see the gpu throttling in the msiafterburner screenshot).

I've tried everything, fresh bootcamp install, new drivers, set the clocks with nvidia inspector (this doesn't work becouse when the high temps starts starts the throttling to protect the hardware).

Do you guys know any solution for this problem? I'll try to replace the thermal paste the next week (where I live the pentalobe screwdrivers are really hard to find).

Any advice is really welcome.

thank you in advance!

2. w00t951, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2013

w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I had this problem with my 2011 15".

I was playing Battlefield 3 when I noticed my framerates steadily worsened after 5 minutes of gameplay. Upon further investigation, my GPU load only maxed at about 75%. It turned out that the CPU was throttling to 800MHz (!) because it was hitting Intel's thermal throttling levels, and it couldn't feed data fast enough to my GPU, allowing it to idle clock cycles.

Throttlestop didn't help me - it seemed to fight Intel's throttling profiles, and my framerate would rhythmically increase and decrease as my CPU frequencies increased and decreased.

I'm sorry to say, but my solution was to build a gaming desktop (i7-4770K & GTX780). If it were graphics settings that were set too high, then you could just turn them down. However, when it's the CPU being loaded past Apple's TDP design, there's literally nothing you can do.

Replacing thermal paste allowed me to run Battlefield in the first place, so hopefully you'll have better luck with it. Remember, get T6 Torx drivers - Apple's screws are like putty, and using an incorrectly sized driver will immediately strip them.

3. Dyno-Mike macrumors regular

Yes, This happens on mine too once the GPU hits 78C.

The only thing i can suggest is to disable Turbo boost on the CPU when gaming and installing lubbos fan control to control the fans and keep temperatures in check.

I very rarely see the GPU hit 78C now i have done this and the framerates are almost the same as with turbo enabled.

4. ljx718 macrumors 6502

how much of a performance drop do you notice compared to when theres no throttling?

5. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Either try fan control software to get the fans up to 6000 rpm or buy a $20 cooling pad. Also make sure that you are using the latest nvidia drivers.

6. Dyno-Mike, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2013

Dyno-Mike macrumors regular

It hitches a lot when it throttles and the framerate dips up and down every few seconds.

But, This can be fixed by disabling turbo boost on the CPU

There is almost zero performance drop between turbo disabled vs enabled in games. But the laptop is way cooler and quieter.

To disable it go to the power options, change your current plan settings, click the advanced section, expand the Processor Power Management section, click the Maximum Processor State, and change it to something other than 100% like 95%

If you decide to get lubbos fan control aswell, you will need to change the .ini file slightly so it works properly with the processor.
    (The line in the .ini that says CPUkey needs to change to CPUkey=TC0F)

7. ljx718 macrumors 6502

would there be no diffence in emulators such as Dolphin? Theyre really processor intensive

8. Dyno-Mike macrumors regular

Im not sure what this is but if its processor intensive then i would say yes it would make a difference in performance if you disabled the turbo boost.

You could make a custom power profile so when you want to game you set the profile with turbo disabled and for other stuff use the profile with the turbo enabled.

9. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Maybe you guys got better binned chips than I did, but even when I locked my CPU to 2.0GHz (it's supposed to be 2.3GHz w/o TB) it overheated. Mine has epic heat issues.

10. burgui thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually I'm currently using this cooling pad:

[​IMG]

And using LubbosFanControl to set the fans to the max rpm.

Without those i get even higher temps (although not a huge difference).

:(

11. Freyqq macrumors 68040

SMC reset?

12. Vukmon macrumors member

^^^ These things cant help MBP (blowing air directly). Currently, my friend is looking to buy something like this:

[​IMG]

Its made specifically for MBP.