Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zachevans

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2013
I posted this on Apple Support Communities prior to posting it here. I did not receive any information, so I was hoping this forum could help me out!

I have recently been concerned with the temperatures on my Macbook Pro Retina (Early 2013 15", 2.7Ghz i7, 16GB Ram, 500GB SSD). Temperatures at idle are averaging around 55 degrees Celsius. I am using iStat Menus and Temperature Gauge to determine the CPU temperature. Doing daily tasks like Safari, Mail, and iTunes gives me zero fan noise, but temperatures around 70 degrees celsius. Also while doing these tasks the CPU temperature will spike randomly to 95 degrees celsius and greater, sometimes to the 102-105 celsius range. Fan speed does not increase when these spikes occur.

Temperature becomes a major issue when using programs such as Handbrake and other converters. While converting, temperatures stay around 97 degrees celsius. I know high temperatures are normal when doing such tasks, but I feel like this might be a little too high. When playing games such as Diablo 3, temperatures stay at a steady 98-105 degrees celsius. Those temperatures occur even when the fans are tuned to the highest using iStat Menus fan control feature. I have reset the SMC and had the same issues. I have not had any system crashes due to temperature, but these temperatures seem out of the norm with what most things I have read have said about rMBP temperature.

Are these temperatures too high and out of the norm? Should I bring the machine to an Apple Store? Am I just being paranoid? I could cook eggs and bacon on the aluminum when doing CPU intensive tasks with these temperatures.

Any and all help is appreciated!

P.S. The machine also has some pretty intense image retention. Using the image retention website (http://www.marco.org/rmbp-irtest.html), I can get retention within only 30 seconds of the test.

zachevans

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2013
iStat menus has shown 105 degrees celsius when doing intensive tasks, but it has yet to shutdown on me.

I feel that sitting near the processors heat limit for extended periods of time is in no way good. And from what I've read, people have temperatures in the low 90's when doing intensive tasks with the same MacBook, not anywhere near my 100 degree celsius average.

fatlardo

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011
I definitely agree. I hit 103C when playing D3 for over an hour. I get pretty scared too. I dont like this high heat stuff. :mad:

makaveli559m

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
I feel like putting Lion on my MacBook Pro because with Lion I never had any heat issues and it ran cold to the touch! While on Mountain Lion it heats up as bad as Windows does! I have all the updates installed by the way.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
Ding ding ding.......

I feel like putting Lion on my MacBook Pro because with Lion I never had any heat issues and it ran cold to the touch! While on Mountain Lion it heats up as bad as Windows does! I have all the updates installed by the way.

You are the winner.

Yep my LION machines def run very efficiently and only warm on demanding tasks. Mt.Lion running google chrome seems to become quite warm, not scorching like on my r-macbook, but warmer than Mt.Lion running twitchy-glitchy safari in general.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.