Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snyp1193

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
I’ve noticed in the past few weeks I’ve been seeing high usage of “Software Update” under Cellular -> System Services. I saw caught this happening on a trip over the the holidays abroad and it consumed all my RedTeaGO eSIM roaming data. However I don’t see anything to update under General -> Software Update. I also tested turning off Automatic Updates but it still downloaded software update over cellular. I’m also not on 5G.

Has anyone noticed this, is this a bug or something you can turn off? I’ve attached a screenshot.

Attachments

• 38BCB489-83FD-4CBA-911F-7AE421DD601E.png
    38BCB489-83FD-4CBA-911F-7AE421DD601E.png
    244.6 KB · Views: 1,360
Reactions: cwazydan

snyp1193

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
If I go to Settings > Mobile Data > System Services...Software Updates is showing 13.9 GB for me 😮 Never checked it before.
I never seen this before iOS 16. I wonder if it’s related to the “Security Responses & System Files”.

snyp1193

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
It did it again. Went to 959MB as soon as I went off wifi. I just literally watched it climb up and eat 300+MB in a few seconds…anyone have an idea what’s going on? I contacted my carrier too and they said they don’t push any updates to your phone like this. AppleCare support was also useless and said it’s the carrier who is pushing updates. Just going back and forth… :rolleyes:

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
It's some weird bug that started with iOS 16. I have noticed it once when updating to 16.1, the update was very slow. I have very bad cell reception in my house but very good wifi. So I checked, and lo and behold, the cellular counter was going up for software updates. Then I turned off cell data, and suddenly the update went fast (as I was on wifi).

It seems like in some weird situations, software update uses cell data even when wifi is available.

snyp1193

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
Wow okay. But I’ve updated to iOS 16.3 on Monday and this reoccurred yesterday? I don’t see any other updates so I’m curious what could it be?

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I never seen this before iOS 16. I wonder if it’s related to the “Security Responses & System Files”.
I just looked at mine. Data was reset last September 18. Security Services shows 46.2 MB and Software Updates 44.1 MB. The largest cellular data user was DNS Services at 585 MB. All since September 18 of last year. Since I’m a regular user of Apple Maps for navigation I thought that would be the biggest user of cellular data but Mapping Services only shows 60 MB.

I only do software updates at home on WiFi so that 44.1 MB since September may be an app that got updated while I was out of my home. I don’t see this on my phone but on my ipad when an ios update begins there is a pop up notification giving you the option of using cellular data. I believe that’s to allow the update to continue if you leave WiFi or have a very slow or weak connection. I always decline that option since I never initiate an ios update outside my home WiFi network.

snyp1193

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
I just looked at mine. Data was reset last September 18. Security Services shows 46.2 MB and Software Updates 44.1 MB. The largest cellular data user was DNS Services at 585 MB. All since September 18 of last year. Since I’m a regular user of Apple Maps for navigation I thought that would be the biggest user of cellular data but Mapping Services only shows 60 MB.

I only do software updates at home on WiFi so that 44.1 MB since September may be an app that got updated while I was out of my home. I don’t see this on my phone but on my ipad when an ios update begins there is a pop up notification giving you the option of using cellular data. I believe that’s to allow the update to continue if you leave WiFi or have a very slow or weak connection. I always decline that option since I never initiate an ios update outside my home WiFi network.
Same I’ve declined it too so I am surprised it continues to eat away data even after the software update is installed..

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Unticking everything under the auto system updates option seems to have stopped this

Even with automatic updates off it still seems to do some other kind of system updates if ticked

Doesn’t matter if the overarching automatic updates setting is off which is weird

snyp1193

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
Yeah it’s strange. I have an appointment at apple to see if they have any clue. It’s concerning when travelling if it can suddenly eat your prepaid data.

Reactions: celaurie

snyp1193

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
Wifi assist is off. It also shows the amount of data it used under it so it’s not that (unless the switch is broken).

snyp1193

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
Apple said they can’t do much since it’s software but they put down notes and will escalate it. He suggested turn off data access to “Settings” to see if it helps.

Hopefully the problem gets fixed in a future software update.

Last edited:

chrisu91

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I’m on 16.3 with an iPhone 13 Pro.

I reset my cellular usage monthly to align with my bill date.

Within the last two days, Software Updates have used 629MB of cellular data despite being constantly connected to wifi. I am already on iOS 16.3 since public release so there should’ve been nothing to download. Something is up…

snyp1193

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
I’m on 16.3 with an iPhone 13 Pro.

I reset my cellular usage monthly to align with my bill date.

Within the last two days, Software Updates have used 629MB of cellular data despite being constantly connected to wifi. I am already on iOS 16.3 since public release so there should’ve been nothing to download. Something is up…
It’s eating away data for no reason. I’m surprised more people haven’t noticed it since iOS 16 came out. Unless everyone has unlimited data now and doesn’t bother them. But someone like myself who travels a lot and buys prepaid eSIM data it’s concerning.

Last edited:
Reactions: silentjae

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Software updates has used only 44MB since September on my phone. Total System Services used only 1.2GB since then. No issues here. So not so widespread.

• Wow
Reactions: snyp1193

snyp1193

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
Software updates has used only 44MB since September on my phone. Total System Services used only 1.2GB since then. No issues here. So not so widespread.
Which version of iOS? I’ve seen this issue on a friend’s phone and another family member’s phone too.

Also do you use an Apple Watch? I wonder if it could be something to do with an accessory like that.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Which version of iOS? I’ve seen this issue on a friend’s phone and another family member’s phone too.

Also do you use an Apple Watch? I wonder if it could be something to do with an accessory like that.
I just checked my wife’s phone out of curiosity. Her cellular stats haven’t been reset since 2013. She never looks at that stuff. Software Updates is shown as 229MB. We’re both on 16.3. We both have Apple Watches with cell plans.

snyp1193

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
I just checked my wife’s phone out of curiosity. Her cellular stats haven’t been reset since 2013. She never looks at that stuff. Software Updates is shown as 229MB. We’re both on 16.3. We both have Apple Watches with cell plans.
A watch with cellular would use its own data. I have a wifi only watch which I’ve had since July last year. I am curious if this could be the cause.

I normally don’t check this either but after it consumed 600MB and I ran out of data while abroad then I started noticing this more.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Unless everyone has unlimited data now and doesn’t bother them.
We’ve never had an unlimited plan. We are with AT&T and it would cost us $30-$40 more a month. I don’t know what they call it now but it’s a shared family plan with rollover data. 2 Apple Watches, 2 iPad Pros, and 2 iPhones all on our cell plan and we’ve never come close to using even half our allotted data. I think it’s 9GB with rollover, I haven’t checked in a couple years since we’ve never used much.

silentjae

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2023
Just created an account to chime on this. Since iOS 16 (but especially 16.3), my 14 Pro Max has been using over 300mb everyday on System Services/Software Updates. I have all automatic updates turned off, location services off, iCloud syncing, etc and tried everything. It still eats up data like crazy, and I'm literally out of Wi-Fi for a few minutes. No 5G and in low-data mode.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Just created an account to chime on this. Since iOS 16 (but especially 16.3), my 14 Pro Max has been using over 300mb everyday on System Services/Software Updates. I have all automatic updates turned off, location services off, iCloud syncing, etc and tried everything. It still eats up data like crazy, and I'm literally out of Wi-Fi for a few minutes. No 5G and in low-data mode.
Maybe do a forced restart to shut down any possible rogue process. I’m still only showing 44.1MB for Software Updates since September on my 14 PM, which is what was showing last week when I first checked due to this thread. I have almost every app I have enabled for cellular data as well as Software Updates but I only do them at home on our WiFi network. Our cellular data usage is minimal overall.

Reactions: silentjae

snyp1193

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
Maybe do a forced restart to shut down any possible rogue process. I’m still only showing 44.1MB for Software Updates since September on my 14 PM, which is what was showing last week when I first checked due to this thread. I have almost every app I have enabled for cellular data as well as Software Updates but I only do them at home on our WiFi network. Our cellular data usage is minimal overall.
Forced reset doesn’t help, I’ve done it multiple times. It’s not happening for prompted updates as I also do them over wifi. There is some background update process or a bug that’s eating up the data.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Forced reset doesn’t help, I’ve done it multiple times. It’s not happening for prompted updates as I also do them over wifi. There is some background update process or a bug that’s eating up the data.
Yeah, it must be something. I looked at my wife’s phone, she never resets that setting, didn’t even know there was such a thing. She shows about 230MB going back to 2013 for Software Updates.

snyp1193

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
I suggest anyone having this problem put a bug report in Apple Feedback. You can access it by typing applefeedback:// in Safari.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.