High Virtual Memory Size

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ndassassin, Jun 16, 2009.

1. ndassassin macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I have a unibody 13" Macbook and I just put in 4gb ram today. I noticed today that my VM size is 70.14GB. This doesn't seem normal to me... is it? If not how can I get it to where it needs to be?

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Does it decrease when you reboot?

I haven't restarted for a while, and my 2GB system has 31.16GB in VM at the moment...

3. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

From what I've read that other's have posted - I don't think its abnormal. A quick check of mine...

Picture 1.png

4. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

This isn't abnormal. Mine is 66GB

Attached Files:

• VM.jpg
      VM.jpg
      File size:
      20.9 KB
      Views:
  5. egk69 macrumors 6502

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i think its just a bug Apple havent addressed yet. if you add a new activity column by right clicking on the title bar, e.g. "# Ports", it decreases fair size; from 38 GB to 6 GB for me with 1 GB of RAM.

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I'm not sure which one is the bug, lol

When I add "ports" or "messages sent" it goes from 30GB to 5GB. When I remove them, it shoots right back up.

8. pesc macrumors regular

The total virtual memory size is the sum of the virtual size of all processes. Note that (1) much virtual memory is shared between processes because they use the same libraries, frameworks, etc and (2) just because a memory object is mapped to the virtual adress space of a process, it doesn't have to be allocated in physical memory or even be in a page file.

So that's what I understand the "total virtual memory size" is. A quite uninteresting number if you ask me.

I can't explain why the number should change if you display "number of ports" though.