Higher 3G Speed?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hNicolas, Jun 19, 2009.

1. hNicolas macrumors 6502

hNicolas

Is the 3GS going to achieve higher 3G speeds? Can someone confirm this? Rogers customers in Canada, we should be able to see much higher speeds since we have a 3.5 G network in place.

2. southfrisco macrumors member

Yes.

"With support for 7.2Mbps HSDPA, iPhone 3G S also makes it possible to do more in more places: Surf the web, download email, get directions, and watch video — even while you’re on a call. Since iPhone seamlessly switches between EDGE, faster 3G, and even faster Wi-Fi, you always get the fastest connection available. You can even share your Internet connection with your laptop via Internet tethering."

The iPhone 3G supports HSDPA 3.6

http://www.apple.com/iphone/iphone-3g-s/high-technology.html

3. hNicolas thread starter macrumors 6502

hNicolas

4. hNicolas thread starter macrumors 6502

hNicolas

5. sibruk macrumors 6502a

Good luck finding 7.2Mbps speeds. In the UK, where we have reasonable 3G coverage (compared to the US at least), only a very small handful of areas have the faster 7.2Mbps service.

6. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

7. dagomike macrumors 65816

Using the speed test app I got 1148 down and 101 up with four bars. last phone was 3G, so no idea how that compares other than it's a hell of a lot faster than EDGE.

8. sibruk macrumors 6502a

A speed test on my 3G just got a 2364 down/346 up result.

9. shanew21 macrumors regular

The 3G speed updates have not been implemented by AT&T yet. When they do, you will see some very quick 3G speeds.

However, due to the faster processor of the iPhone 3GS pages load much faster in Safari.

10. Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

In the US...we only have the 3GS networks in 3 cities...St. Louis and two others I can't remember.

If you bought the 3GS for faster wireless bandwidth, you're SOL...the iphone 4 will be out long before the network infrastructure is updated in enough places to make it worthwhile. Granted, you may see faster loading times IRL right now--but that's because of the faster processing of the data and not the higher bandwidth.

11. sibruk macrumors 6502a

What's really interesting to note is that the Apple website touts the 7.2Mbps speed increase on the "High Technology" page. The corresponding O2 and AT&T pages don't mention that 7.2Mbps figure anywhere! I wonder why that might be...

12. hNicolas thread starter macrumors 6502

hNicolas

Rogers, here in Canada claim that the 3G network has been upgraded to 3.5 or 7.2 Mbps (for a few months now) thats why I'm asking if anybody can confirm higher download speeds with the iPhone 3GS.