Higher bit rate songs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eagleglen, Jun 23, 2010.

1. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

Wow... I had never checked the option to convert higher bit rate songs to 128 Kbps on my old 3GS. Therefore my music was taking up over 14 gb out of the mere 32 on my phone. Well, while adjusting what I would sync onto the new iP4, I decided to try this setting. My music now only consumes 6.7 GB. that's a big space savings.

I wanted to add a couple of HD movies to see what they looked like on the retnia display, so this has really helped..

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I don't think I'd care for the drop in audio quality, but it's a good option to have for those who aren't as snobby.

3. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

4. Inconvenient macrumors newbie

I'm not too familiar with AAC format, but is that 128kb on AAC better than 320 + on mp3?

5. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I realize that, but it's still a wee bit muddy for me. If you're using the default earbuds or listening in the car with the windows down 128kbps would be fine, but I usually have mine running through a home theater or a decent set of IEMs, and those files just sound cloudy (to me).

6. tmthydunne macrumors newbie

7. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

I agree. I tried it and it did not work for me.

8. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Klipsch s4i. I luvs them.

9. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Hahaha! You're too fast. I wrote that when I thought you meant something else! But yes... I totally agree. I prefer Sennheisers.

10. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I'll admit that I haven't tried Sennheisers or Etymotics (although I do have a set of Ety earplugs), but I've been very pleased with the Klipschs. Mostly in that they were only moderately pricey ($90), sound quite good, and, most importantly, are an extremely comfortable fit for me. IEM's usually drive me crazy, but the s4is have these comfy elliptical heads that fit nice and snug.

That said, I have a friend that would defend his Sennheisers to the death. Audio in general is such an individual thing.

11. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Yes it is. ;) I personally prefer Sennhesiers. I haven't tried Klipschs though... and I can't stand IEMs. I have to hear my surroundings. I am never in a place where I don't need to hear what's going on around me. I use Sennhesier earbuds at the moment. None the best, but it works. ;)