Higher capacity models? 128GB and 256GB, maybe

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Blackened Apple, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Blackened Apple macrumors regular

Hey everyone,

I have a fifth generation iPod Video 60GB, haven't really felt the need to upgrade to the newer Classic because it's pretty much the same product, not much has happened to the classic iPod line between when I bought mine and now.

My music collection is about 60GB of 128kbps mp3s. I'd like to re-rip the whole collection to ALAC, for archival, and probably 256kbps AACs (or just use iTunes Match) for regular listening on the PC and iPod. Anyway, that would make my old iPod somewhat inadequate in terms of capacity.

I've been flirting with the idea of getting an iOS device for some time now, and if the iPod Touch gets updated in the near future, it'd be the perfect candidate. Now, would it be feasible and viable for Apple to provide a 128GB model, with the technology that's available right now? With the price of flash storage decreasing quite a bit over the last couple of years, I'd imagine it should be possible, but what are your predictions?

2. sakau2007 macrumors 6502

It's possible, but I'm not sure it will happen. I feel like a lot of companies are pushing us towards Cloud type services rather than massive storage devices. But we shall see.

3. Blackened Apple thread starter macrumors regular

So do you think I'll get by fine with iTunes Match?

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Remember that the iPod Touch is a downgraded version of the iPhone, so the iPod Touch won't get any new features unless the iPhone gets it or already has it. So if you see the iPhone 5 come out with a 128GB model you can be pretty confident that the iPod Touch will get a 128GB model too :)

5. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

That is not quite true. There has been 64GB iPod Touches years before the iPhone was available in 64GB (4S).

6. sakau2007 macrumors 6502

I honestly don't use iTunes match or really know what it is.

7. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

iCloud or not, I want 128GB on my next Touch.
    Not a big fan of Cloud storage services where their license agreement pretty much gives them the right to do almost what they want with your data.

8. johns4949 macrumors newbie

As with most apple products they are short on memory space.

160gb Ipod Why not 160gb Ipad Ipod Touch ETC>>>>>>>