Higher capacity - screen different?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mrjosh, Aug 1, 2012.

1. mrjosh macrumors regular

OK, quick question. Are the screens on a new ipod touch really different depending on capacity? I have a hard time believing this is true, but that's what I was told at at the Genius bar. I ask because I was thinking of getting a cracked screen fixed. However, since I have a 32gb, it would have been more expensive. I asked if it was a different part and told yes.

I am not challenging their policy (at least here, in the forums) - I just want to see if the info I was given was correct.

2. thegreati macrumors regular

I've replaced all sort of iTouch 4 front glasses, of all GB sizes and colors and the only exception I've had for "Type of Glass" is depending on if its black or white.

Apple may use different glass for their iTouch 4's depending on size but I know for a fact the device will fully function with any glass, the size of the device(gb wise) has no say in that.

3. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

The fact that the 32gb replacement costs more is probably due to the fact that Apple don't actually replace the glass on the device, they just swap it out for a refurbished model of the same capacity and generation. Thus the cost is cheapest for 8gb, and the most expensive for 64gb.

4. mrjosh thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the responses. I didn't think of the swapping as a reason to charge more - makes sense in a way, but sucks for me. Anyway, I think I found a local place to do it, unless I want a little project for myself.