Higher CPU temp when using 9600 instead of 9400?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ksgant, Apr 21, 2009.

1. ksgant macrumors 6502a

ksgant

I just picked up a new 2.66 MacBook Pro Unibody 15" and have been playing around with some of the settings.

Is anyone else finding that the CPU temps when using it in 9600 mode are higher than just sitting there using it in 9400 mode?

According to iStat, when just idling in 9400 mode i get about 35˚ C but sitting in the 9600 mode it jumps to around 48˚ C...not doing anything.

I can understand of course the GPU temps going up, but why would the CPU temps go up?

Also, quite frankly when I play WoW on this thing, I can't really see a graphical difference between the 9400 and the 9600 anyway. The 9400 give me good frame rates, even in the busy areas, and it runs much cooler.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Same heatsink, so the hotter heatsink will transfer heat to the CPU; heat conduction is bi-directional.

You could use the 9400M, but try using the maximum resolution and turn on all the eye candy.

3. ksgant thread starter macrumors 6502a

ksgant

Ah, thanks. I was looking up at the insides of this thing and I kind of notice that now.

And I'm still using the settings of my old, original 24" iMac with a 7600GT in it, so a lot of the eye candy is turned down, I'll try turning up some of the sliders.

Thanks for your help.