Higher Ed Applecare

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by redfriar, Nov 1, 2007.

1. redfriar macrumors newbie

I'm contracting at a University in the UK and have internet access through the Uni network so I can get to the online Apple HE store. I plan to use the HE discount to buy a Macbook with Applecare. Do Apple check anything more than your IP address when you do it this way? If I was to claim anything on Applecare would they require further proof of my employment? (As a UK IT consultant, I am not an employee of the Uni so technically not eligible for the HE discount ;))

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I doubt they check the IP address. They don't really check every time, I've heard it's random, but since you are not eligible, you shouldn't be purchasing.

3. 119576 Guest

The dilemma here is moral. As long as you have access to a University network, you can order via the Higher Education Store (but there are sporadic random checks on customers who use this method); however, you have yourself stated that you are not eligible, so you shouldn't even have to think twice.

4. redfriar thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. You're a very honest lot here!

I can't say that morally it's a problem for me - I'll hang my head in shame:)

5. Hobbit macrumors member

Apple used to give 3 years warranty on macbooks sold under higher education scheme. If this is still the case then there is no need to buy apple care.

* You still however need to think of the moral aspects*

6. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I didn't get a complimentary 3 year warranty :(

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

according to your location, you're not in the UK.....this HE stuff only applies to the UK

8. 119576 Guest

In regards to applecare on higher education purchases; you can upgrade your complimentary warranty to full 3yr applecare for £58.

9. Igantius macrumors 65816

The extended HE warranty is 3 years 'parts & labour' - whereas Applecare also includes a courier service, under this deal you would need to pay for the machine to be sent back... or just drop it off at an Apple Centre. Not sure if you get the global coverage.

There was quite a long thread about the UK HE store and that might be worth a read.