Higher Ed Applecare

redfriar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Wales, UK
I'm contracting at a University in the UK and have internet access through the Uni network so I can get to the online Apple HE store. I plan to use the HE discount to buy a Macbook with Applecare. Do Apple check anything more than your IP address when you do it this way? If I was to claim anything on Applecare would they require further proof of my employment? (As a UK IT consultant, I am not an employee of the Uni so technically not eligible for the HE discount ;))

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
I'm contracting at a University in the UK and have internet access through the Uni network so I can get to the online Apple HE store. I plan to use the HE discount to buy a Macbook with Applecare. Do Apple check anything more than your IP address when you do it this way? If I was to claim anything on Applecare would they require further proof of my employment? (As a UK IT consultant, I am not an employee of the Uni so technically not eligible for the HE discount ;))
I doubt they check the IP address. They don't really check every time, I've heard it's random, but since you are not eligible, you shouldn't be purchasing.

Comment

Aug 6, 2007
The dilemma here is moral. As long as you have access to a University network, you can order via the Higher Education Store (but there are sporadic random checks on customers who use this method); however, you have yourself stated that you are not eligible, so you shouldn't even have to think twice.

Comment

redfriar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Wales, UK
Thanks for the replies. You're a very honest lot here!

I can't say that morally it's a problem for me - I'll hang my head in shame:)

Comment

Hobbit

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2005
Apple used to give 3 years warranty on macbooks sold under higher education scheme. If this is still the case then there is no need to buy apple care.

* You still however need to think of the moral aspects*

Comment

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
Apple used to give 3 years warranty on macbooks sold under higher education scheme. If this is still the case then there is no need to buy apple care.

* You still however need to think of the moral aspects*
I didn't get a complimentary 3 year warranty :(

Comment

Aug 6, 2007
In regards to applecare on higher education purchases; you can upgrade your complimentary warranty to full 3yr applecare for £58.

Comment

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
The extended HE warranty is 3 years 'parts & labour' - whereas Applecare also includes a courier service, under this deal you would need to pay for the machine to be sent back... or just drop it off at an Apple Centre. Not sure if you get the global coverage.

There was quite a long thread about the UK HE store and that might be worth a read.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.