higher edu discount on keyboard?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by anotherarunan, Dec 30, 2007.

1. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

Hey guys, i just want to know if the higher education discount applies on the apple keyboard/mouse (as i cant check online due to being away from university and not being able to access my uni network). And if it does, can i still get this discount from going to the apple store (regent street, london) and showing them my student ID?

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Doesn't look like any discount at the apple store. Check your uni's store or call them up.

3. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I didn't get anything off with my student discount.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I wonder why Apple is starting to pull back on this EDU discount thing.

5. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Yep, you get a discount on all Apple accessories (non iPod related) here in the UK.

So... Cinema Displays, Mighty Mouse, Keyboard, Airport Extreme, that sorta stuff.

6. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I recently (Oct) bought one of each and didn't get a cent off for faculty status. Apple really is becoming miserly in this regard

7. esco macrumors 6502

esco

I could understand why they'd pull back for the online store because there's no verification process. You basically pick your school and checkout (allowing pretty much anyone to take advantage of the savings.) But I think they should have still applied a discount on the accessories if you buy it in store and show them your school ID.

8. Code001 macrumors member

Do they do any background checking on the name and address by calling the school? The reason I ask is because they say you have to be "enrolled" in school, but that could mean many things (part-time, full-time, no classes for X semester but will start again Y semester, etc. etc.).

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

They gave a few dollars discount for my Mom, she's a teacher, when she bought a kb. It was the old white model. We're in the US though. But why do you have to be on the University's network? Why not just log in to the education store on line? Is it different in the UK, because in the US you can just get on and put in your schools info. Whatever it says there will be what they charge you in store. You could always call too.

I just went there and put in Oxford, it's £27.03 for the wired, £44.65 for wireless, vs. 29 and 49.

10. anotherarunan thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah they do it cos over here, theres 2 types of discount for students, the education discount and the higher edu discount...the 1st has a discount of around 7-10% (i think) and requires no real ID (hence being able to put in the name of my 4yr old cousins nursery and still being able to get a dicount), but the university discount is much higher (around 15%), and you can only do that on your university network (and on the phone i think).

The reason I wanna do it in store is im heading back to university soon, and cant wait for the product to be delivered here, so phone is out of the question.