Higher Education Discount In Store?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kolax, Mar 15, 2009.

1. kolax macrumors G3

The MacBook Pro is £1,163 with my University's "Higher Education" part of the Apple Store. Can I just walk into an Apple Store, show my student ID and receive the full discount or can it only be done online?

With the normal education discount ("school or any other establishment") lists it at £1,259 - is this the only education discount I can get in store, or can I get the full reduction?

2. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Yes you can just walk in to the store and get the full 15% HE discount in store, if you are a student or teacher.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You should be able to get the same discount in-store. If they initially refuse, there are plenty of machines where you can show them what the online price with the discount is if they don't believe you.

4. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

How long does it usually take for them to check it all? Do I need to bring any other documents?

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

ID should be enough, at least it is in the states. I also had to give them my school e-mail address, but I think that's normal.

6. noromaru macrumors newbie

In the US you can just show your ID and you'll get it for exactly the same price as online. Student software is usually only sold online, however, so if you're looking at getting a discount on Aperture or Final Cut or whatever, you should get it online.

7. CMelton macrumors regular

CMelton

No unfortunately not.

I tried this the other day and they said it was only possible to give me a 10% discount in store. I took a print out of my "basket" with me to show them because you can't access the higher education store from anywhere apart from through the uni network. They told me that I should order it online as I was going to save so much money.

This is Liverpool Uk btw.

EDIT: sorry I should have said, I had my Uni ID with me and everything and they still couldn't do it.

8. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Really? So the full reductions can't be done in store?

I'll give them a call tomorrow - unfortunately my nearest Apple Store is an hour and a half away..

9. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Sorry this is nonsense, I brought my new macbook pro at the HE price. Apple stores give you the full 15% off, if you provide your student or teacher i.d. They have a list of all Uni's in a book let and they ask for the post code, put in to there till and your i.d number. I have purchased machines at Brent cross, blue water, southampton and so has my younger brother and we both got full 15% pricing plus the reduced price of £57 for apple care for macbook pros and £46 for macbooks.

10. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

That was the answer I was wanting to hear!

Do you know if Apple Resellers can do this? I don't have an Apple Store for an hour and half, but I do have Cancom. You think they can provide the 15% reduction too and discounted AppleCare?

11. Igantius macrumors 65816

I'm certainly not going to argue that it is possible to get the HE discount instore - especially as you did! - but going on previous threads, it's not just CMelton who has said they were refused it. According to Apple's site, to get the HE discount you need to order by phone or online - possibly it is company policy that you can also get it at a physical store (but this is kept quiet), but it's also possible that this is at that the staff's discretion.

The HE discount varies - it's not a straight 15%. For example, when I was looking online at the HE Store the other day, the quad 2.66GHz Mac Pro is £2.50 more expensive than the price it charges for the top of the range iMac. I haven't done the maths to work out the exact percentages, but as the price differential in the standard store is £100 between the products.

Instore you only get the standard one-year warranty, so if you want three-years you have to get AppleCare - with an online or phone HE purchase, you get a three-year parts and labour warranty. If someone wanted to get full AppleCare anyway, then obviously this doesn’t matter but not anyone will necessarily want this. I've a feeling that the uplift to AppleCare via the HE Store is a couple of quid cheaper that £57 - but there's barely anything in it.

It used to be phrased that if employed by a HE institution, you had to be a teacher or supervisor of students in order to qualify for the HE discounts, but now it states that any HE staff (e.g. non-academic) can use the store too.

12. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

I see - well my University's HE page gives the MacBook Pro prices I listed at the top (~15%) along with 3-year AppleCare for about £60.

So you aren't meant to get HE discount in store?

13. jpk32092 macrumors 6502

when i bought mine in the in the us i just told them i wanted the education discount and didn't need to show any id

14. lostinmysphere macrumors member

Applecare isn't £60 for students buying through the online HE store.

The £60 pays for 3 years phone support.

The 3 years applecare in terms of labour and parts etc is already included when you purchase from the HE store. Unless you need the phone support, it's a waste of money IMO.

I believe, regarding hardware, apple stores should be able to match the HE store discounts, however they DEFINITELY CANNOT do this on Software.

No idea about the authorised retailers, sorry.

15. Igantius macrumors 65816

I don't know whether it's a case of whether you aren't meant to, but it is possible to get it - however, going by previous posters, not anyone has been able to (possibly these people spoke to a staff member who got it wrong). I suspect it's at the staff's discretion - if you have got a trip to make, I would definitely check by phone.

At my uni, the base Mac Pro has more than 15% off (and the AppleCare uplift is about £55 off the top of my head) - basically, what I meant was that some products you get more than 15%. Sounds like in your case, you would get the same discount - so no worries! But I thought it worth mentioning, just in case the MBP had a slightly bigger discount.

I would give them a call - when I checked its site the other day, it says that the HE discount is a minimum of 3%. With the economy the way it is, I'm sure you can negotiate more than that! However, when the iMacs were £999 (i.e. the G3 ones a few years ago!), the profit margin resellers had was about £60 - and I rather doubt this would have increased massively.

With the standard HE warranty, it used to be if something was wrong with your machine and you needed to send it back, you could just drop it in at a reseller like Cancom, not just an Apple Store.

16. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Any ideas about Apple Authorised Resellers? Whether they can provide HE discounts?

About the HE AppleCare, this is from the HE store:

"AppleCare Protection Plan
    Whether you're new to the Mac or an experienced user, the AppleCare Protection Plan helps you get the most from your Mac. For three years from your computer's original purchase date, you'll get direct telephone access to Apple's experts for questions about your Mac, the Mac OS, iLife, and iWork. And you'll get global repair coverage - both parts and labor - through convenient service options.

When you purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan and your computer at the same time, you'll be automatically registered in the plan."

Igantius - thanks for the info. I'll call in at my local Reseller tomorrow and see if they are able to. It would be ideal to be able to drop it to Cancom than having to travel to Glasgow.

17. lostinmysphere macrumors member

Trust me, when you buy a machine from the the store that you can only access when you are on campus (http://apple.procureweb.ac.uk) the Applecare is AUTOMATICALLY included.

The extra money will ONLY buy you extra phone support (i.e. two further years on top of the 1 standard). It buys you nothing extra in terms of parts/labour.

if you're talking about the regular HE store, then that may be different.

From the store:

3 year limited parts and labour warranty now standard
    on all current Apple desktop and laptop computers.

Apple is pleased to announce that as part of the negotiated extension to the HE Agreement
    all current Apple desktop and laptop computers are now provided with a
    3 year limited parts and labour warranty
    at no additional cost.
    Details of the 3-year cover are provided in the HE Agreement Terms and Conditions,
    which may be accessed at the bottom of the stores.

18. CMelton macrumors regular

CMelton

Can confirm that lostinmysphere is right. YOu automatically get 3 years parts and labour if bought through the online (campus) network. The phone support isn't really worth the extra £60 unless you live miles from a store, and even then you might be better off looking online/in these forums for advice before phoning them.

19. lostinmysphere macrumors member

Well I just copied and pasted that from the store page.

When I purchased my iMac a month later I got an email from Apple:

AppleCare Base Warranty Certificate for the Higher Education National Contract

This certificate confirms that you agreed to AppleCare Base Warranty Plan terms and conditions and the Apple product(s) entitled for coverage.

Please keep this certificate and the original proof of purchase for your Apple products as they may be required if there is any question as to the product's eligibility for service.

Below you will find a list of products entitled for AppleCare Base Warranty coverage. Please take a moment to review it. If corrections are necessary or if you have questions please call us on 0870 876 0753 (National Call Rate applies).

Coverage is now in effect. The AppleCare Base Warranty is a uniquely integrated service and support solution that extends your built-in service and support coverage from date of purchase as follows:
    - 1 year phone support / Apple Applications Support (*)
    - 3 years Hardware Warranty Parts & Labour (*)

20. Igantius macrumors 65816

The standard HE warranty is called "AppleCare Base Warranty Certificate for the Higher Education National Contract" - as you say, paying for the uplift gives you phone support.

However, it used to be the case - and when I was looking at the HE Store's T&Cs the other day, there was nothing to suggest that this has changed (but that doesn't mean it hasn't!) - that the free warranty doesn't offer global coverage, but the uplift to full AppleCare does.

Also - and again, this might have changed - if you had the free warranty and needed to send a machine back for repair, you had to pay for the carriage, but it you had the AppleCare uplift, Apple would pay/arrange an courier for it to be returned. As I said above, you could always drop it into a Apple reseller instead.

I do agree with you that the extra cash for the AppleCare uplift isn't going to be of huge benefit to all. However, I was thinking the other that if you did try selling the machine before the three years is up, the AppleCare is probably going to be more attractive to purchasers, although both types of warranties are transferable to a new owner.

21. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Ah in that case, I won't bother! I don't need to call them - these forums provide better info anyway ;)

I'll need to find out: if my reseller gives HE, and whether they can give me the 3 year AppleCare that the HE store automatically gives.

EDIT: I'm going to wait before replying, too many posts at once! Igantius - about the AppleCare uplift, what the HE store gives, that isn't full AppleCare (because of the phonecalls) so I couldn't sell this on eBay at some point and say it has 3 year of AppleCare (with however much left)?

22. Igantius macrumors 65816

A pleasure!

As I say, the £60 AppleCare used to give you a little more than phone support, but this might have changed.

23. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

Yeah. I work in Further Education and picked up a mini yesterday and got the FE discount in store.

The comments about the 3 year warranty if you buy through procureweb from campus are also correct, so I'd think very carefully before not taking advantage of that.

24. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

I can only get the 3 year warranty AppleCare if I buy online through the HE store? I can't get the 3 year warranty for free if they did permit the HE discount in store?

25. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

You'll have to ask someone who knows more about the HE scheme (I'm FE remember, FE <> HE) but I get the impression from people I've spoke to that you have to do it through the online store. I could very well be wrong on that so I'd suggest speaking to Apple or possibly the people who admin the scheme in your campus IT team.