Higher Education Discount - Not at Uni yet

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hazzy, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Hazzy macrumors newbie

I want to get an iMac with the higher education discount, but I don't start uni until this September. I have confirmation that i've applied and had my offer accepted and that kinda thing.

But I since i'm not actually at uni yet, I can't access the uni network so can't access that part of the apple site to get the discount.

I was wondering if I maybe phoned them instead, or went into a retail store with some proof of my intent to go to uni, could I still get the discount? Or do I have to physically be at the uni before I get it?

Thanks

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Did you try going through Apple's education store and picking your campus? You can go to the retail store in person with your letter of acceptance or student ID.

3. daniel89 macrumors newbie

Agreed

I went to the Apple Store and just showed my acceptance letter and they were fine with it.

Also, most colleges give out info on how to get on the student network before you get to campus. Double-check with the admissions office to see if you can get your log-in early.

4. garethh macrumors regular

I think the OP is in the UK. There is a Higher Education store which offers higher discounts than the normal education store. To use it on the web, you need to be inside your university's firewall. If you go into a physical store, you will only get the normal level of educational discount. Afaik, you need to ring the number shown for the HE store and they should be able to give you the higher level of discount.

5. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

i think its only about $50 more

6. oacory macrumors regular

Should be Fine

In My university's case, as long as I had already set up a computer account, I could log in through the university and get all the higher education discounts (apple, HP, whatnot). I even bought my new iMac in late June right after graduation. I think just as long as you have something like term bill or a schedule stores usually give you the discount.

7. logana macrumors 65816

logana

If you are in the UK then phone Apple on the 0800 number and you will probably get the HE discount but why don't you wait for the back to school promotion in September and get a free iPod Nano (iPod Touch maybe).....

8. garethh macrumors regular

To get to the online HE store in the UK you need to click on the relevant link on the store page. You can only access the linked site from within a university firewall (the site belongs to the combined university purchasing consortium, which then redirects you to Apple's store). You cannot access the site linked from outside the firewall even if you have a uni computing account. Otherwise the telephone is the only option.

9. Hazzy thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thanks everyone

I'm guessing instead of phoning them I could also go to the local apple retail store and sort it out there. Sounds a bit backwards but I hate talking on the phone. :eek:

And I would wait until the Back to School offer, but I wanna sell my current laptop and buy the iMac before uni really so I have everything sorted when I move in and can get the money from this laptop and whatever. Also I don't really need an iPod, just need the free printer offer and I'm not sure when that ends so wanna order before that expires or something.

10. logana macrumors 65816

logana

The £60 discount on printer ends 29th July so you will need to get moving - if you go to the AppleStore and buy the iMac with the HE discount they will try to sell you 3 years AppleCare for £58 and tell you the iMac only comes with a 12 month warranty. There was a big thread on here about a month ago and the only thing it clarified was if you buy HE through the web-site or on the telephone you get a 3 year HE warranty - if you buy in-store it "appears" to be only 12 months......

Either way you don't have to keep the iPod - brand-new, unused sell for about 90% of their value so if back to school is an iPod Touch then you are throwing away about £135 further discount...

11. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

No, the difference is really quite significant. It's almost double the savings and when you buy from the HE Store you get the warranty extended to three years for free.

Definitely worth buying from there over the regular education store.

12. Hazzy thread starter macrumors newbie

Damn, that means I have 4 days to buy for the Printer offer.

Btw, if I went to the apple store, anyone got any suggestions on what proof i'd need? You think the letter from UCAS confirming my offer from the uni would be enough? And maybe a few other things like confirmation of student finance.

13. Scartissue macrumors member

Yeah, I'm doing this too.

Called them up, its the same as getting a student bank account. If you're a UK student (and this is all assuming this, so could be totally irrelevant), you don't have your grades yet? When you do, if you've made your offer you'll get a confirmation letter from UCAS, which is essential for stuff like student finance and the like.

The guy on the super-student-discount-phoneline told me that, when I wanted to buy, I should fax them that letter, and talk it over with them.

I've already got my actual place secured because I already had my results. So you'll need to wait.

In terms of discount, I know on the base macbook pro, it was the £100 off from the regular education store, and then another £100 off. So presumably they match it?

Hope that helps

Dave

(That I kissed a girl song is a TUNE)

14. Hazzy thread starter macrumors newbie

Damn, so you're saying I need to have my grades and a firm place there before I can get the discount? I just have a conditional offer depending on if I get the grades...I will get the grades, so i'm as good as there.

Annoying.

Means I won't get the free printer.

You think theres any lee-way with it? Like, if I went into the store and explained all this to them they'd give me the discount still because i'm definitely going there. I'm guessing not but...maybe I should just ring them up.

15. Hazzy thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your help everyone, but i've decided that I might as well wait until the Back to School offer to buy it like logana said.

With the HE discount, and selling this laptop i'm using now, and getting the free iPod which I can sell on, then I would pretty much be upgrading to the iMac for half the price or less.

It makes more sense, i'm just real impatient.

Will be a lot easier then too with my firm place and whatever, and I could just order it online on the uni network.

thanks

16. logana macrumors 65816

logana

There is a big difference between a conditional offer and a University place...

Glad to hear that you are prepared to wait - there is bound to be some kind of updates to the iMac line-up before the offer ends (late October usually).

17. istanbul05 macrumors member

I bought my Macbook at the Apple store in Feb, and i am only planning on going to uni this sept/oct. I brought all my ucas letter with me and by chance i got served by the floor manager. Had a long discussion about what i wanted to buy etc. and when he eventually put it all through the system i was about to hand him my ucas letter and he simply said he believed me and didn't need to see it! This was for the higher educational discount aswell. The staff at Apple stores really are the best i have encountered anywhere, and this was backed up by their service at the iPhone 3G launch despite all the problems with the servers. Just letting you know anyway, may be worth asking at the stores if anyone is interested in getting one now.

18. maxshanly macrumors member

Wrong.

I work at a University, I have emailed myself the address for our HE Store and then gone home and opened it just fine.

19. garethh macrumors regular

That may well be the case, but you can only access the apple.procureweb.ac.uk address from inside a firewall, and the OP is unlikely to be able to know the link it redirects you to if he has never been been redirected from that site.