Higher Education puchase and Applecare

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by NStocks, Feb 15, 2009.

1. NStocks macrumors 65816

I placed my order via tele sales for the 17" Macbook Pro on Friday. They kept trying to sell me AppleCare for around £60 instead of £270, I didn't bother buying it because I already knew that when you buy through HE you automatically get 3 years parts and labour so that if something breaks due to a techinical fault ( not my own fault ) they'll fix it. However, she said that if I break something then I will have to call applecare and after the 1st free year is up it will cost me £35 per call.

So does is Applecare essential for such a high priced computer, I just though they were techincal support like ' how do I eject a DVD' because if the Mac have manufacturing problems 2 years down the line they they have to provide me with support as it's included with HE. If I did have problems, I know that most of them can be answered on macrumors.com, therefor I didn't see the point of paying £60 when I can get it faster and for free.

... Should I have bought Applecare ?

I know there are posts similar to this, but not that include Higher Education and the free 3 years warranty...

NStocks

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

The Higher Education store (Apple Education Discount) doesn't give you 3 years warranty.

You get the standard one year warranty as you described, but if you want support, repairs, parts etc after that you have to buy Applecare which will last you for another 2 years making 3 years in total. You wont get Applecare cheaper than £60 even on Ebay so I would take the offer.

This is under their Higher Education Store Terms and Conditions:

0. One (1) year Limited Warranty

10.1 All new Apple Hardware products carry a one-year limited warranty against defects in materials and workmanship. The warranty terms and conditions, which form part of and are incorporated into this Contract by reference, are available for you to see by clicking the appropriate hyperlink below. Such warranty terms and conditions are also contained in your Apple Hardware box. You may review a copy of the limited warranty on Apple Hardware products, including its limitations and exclusions, before your purchase, by clicking the appropriate link below. Such a limited warranty covers Apple Hardware products (as defined below) only; it does not cover Software, Services or any other Products. You should refer to the relevant Software licences for warranties which may apply to your Software.

Basically you need Applecare if you want 3 years warranty.

3. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

She told me that I will get 3 years parts and labour included... I've already placed the order and she said that I can't add to it and that if I want Applecare after the order has been placed it will cost £270 :(. should I try and get it for £60, but if it's that essential I can always cancel my order and re-order it with Applecare ... can't it

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Only if your ordering it on behalf of your education establishment:

http://www.apple.com/uk/education/hed/nationalcontract/

"Staff, students and institutions can all get:

1. Special pricing and discounts.
    2. Dedicated Apple Store with two levels of user access (browse and purchase)
    3. Special promotions
    4. Special three year parts and labour coverage, with additional first-year warranty and support benefits, as standard
    5. Special offer on AppleCare Protection Plan purchased at the same time as systems"

Its only parts and labour, its not a full warranty.

These are the benefits of upgrading to the full Applecare plan:
    http://www.apple.com/uk/support/products/proplan.html

To be honest I wouldnt worry, you have until 1 year is up to buy Applecare, and if you dont want to buy it from Apple you can always buy it from Ebay for around 50% to 80% less than Apple sell it, which is where everyone here will recommend you to buy it from.

5. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Relax, you do get 3 years 'AppleCare Base Warranty'. kastenbrust is once again talking out of his ArseGoogle and not first-hand experience :rolleyes:

If you have a hardware fault you do not get charged £35 a call. After 90 days they will not help out for free over the phone on any software issues, which they would with full AppleCare. You can still go to an Apple Store though.

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

"Special three year parts and labour coverage, with additional first-year warranty and support benefits, as standard"

Is there something you dont understand about that drlunanerd or does 1 year and 3 years mean the same thing to you?

7. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Why the 180 degree flip between your two (both still incorrect) posts kastenbrust?

I'll tell you why: you're dishing out incorrect information on a subject you have no authority on. Why waste the OP's and your own time?

8. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

NStocks: if you want the full breakdown on this I've got all the documentation from Apple UK on it. PM me.

Questions about the UK HE Contract Warranty have been asked on here many times over the past few years and there's always conflicting information and opinion given out. One problem has been that Apple often give out incorrect information about it depending on who you talk to. We could do with a sticky on it really.

9. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I copied it straight from the Apple Higher Education site, why are you wasting your time arguing with me when im right?

I agree with that though, Apples information is conflicting and limited, its as if they're trying to hide something.

10. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Edit: post no longer applies now a Mod has taken action against kastenbrust.

11. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

If you 'log in' to the UK HE store through a university network and click 'terms and conditions' at the bottom right of the page you can read it there-

2.3 You may place an Order by:

2.3.1 (ONLINE)

2.3.2 telephoning us on Freephone 0800 039 10 10...

10.1 All new Hardware carries a one-year limited warranty against defects in materials and workmanship... Such a limited warranty covers all Apple Hardware except those explicitly mentioned below in clause 10.1.1

10.1.1 All Apple-branded desktop and portable computer products shall be subject to a 36 calendar month warranty period commencing from the date of purchase (the date of your invoice).

So yes you do have a warranty (but AppleCare is a bit like 'warranty plus') for 3 years. Personally I don't think it is worth £60 just to be able to phone them for software issues.

I would print off a copy now, with a date, and if there is a problem take your laptop into an apple store with the paper, so there can be no argument.

12. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

no they havn't?! you were wrong :confused:

13. L0s7man macrumors 6502

You've spend some 1.7k for the computer and you're too cheap to drop 60quid for Applecare (instead of normal, 270quid)? Unbelievable!

14. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It says that an offensive image was removed from your post.

15. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

oh yeah, i put the funny 'arguing on the internet image' thingy, funny how when i post it its considered offensive but at other times it isnt. Some people need irony to be spelled out for them, oh wait, it is.

16. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Your post was edited by a Moderator, I assume they found it offensive. I did not report it.
    You then got banned from MR shortly after this, didn't you? Again, nothing to do with me.
    Sounds like it's you who needs a few things spelling out pal.

17. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

your so aggressive, man dont take life so seriously, its not good for you...

[​IMG]

18. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Ironic.
    What were you banned for again? :rolleyes: