Higher Education Staff & Apple Stores (UK)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by feckonastick, Sep 18, 2008.

1. feckonastick macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. I've been a lurker for the past couple of months and enjoying this site more and more. I'm taking the plunge this weekend and purchasing a new iMac to replace my G4 iMac which is starting to slowwwwww.

My girlfriend works in a university here in Belfast and we were going to order through the H.E site in her uni campus for the highest available discount.

I got an email saying that the Apple Store in Belfast is opening this Saturday which has got me wondering if I can just wander in with her and pick one up? I've read that students can do this, and assume that HE staff can as well, but I was looking for confirmation from any staff who've done this and procedures involved? If she can show ID that states she works there, can she get the full HE discount in-store? Are there any issues?

Oh and I'm after the 24" 3.06GHZ iMac. It comes with 500GB as standard which is fine but I'm also tempted to get one with a 750GB hard drive. If I want the bigger drive, am I right in thinking that it has to be ordered and not available in-store?

Cheers in advance :)

2. SparkyM macrumors newbie

Hi, I have purchased a MacBook and a number of other smaller/cheaper items in the Apple store in Manchester as a member of HE staff. I did check beforehand and was advised to simply take in my staff card which wasn't a problem since I usually have it with me anyway.

Hope this helps. :)

As for availabilty of items (the second part of your query) I'm sorry I wouldnt know. Best advice would be to ring them?

3. feckonastick thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks SparkyM. Roll on Saturday then :) , though as it's first day opening and the first Apple Store on the island, I'm sure it'll be really busy.

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

HE discount is available in store - no problems there - the only difference seems to be that HE in-store warranty is 12 months whereas if you order on-line or by phone it is 3 years. If you buy in-store they will sell you AppleCare for £58.

I think the chances of you getting a 750GB iMac in-store on Day 1 in an AppleStore are virtually nil.

Why not just order on-line or by phone - there is no delivery charge anyway and a build to order is going to take a while anyway...