Higher Education store vs Further Education - Pricing help?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BenMero, Jun 21, 2012.

1. BenMero macrumors member

Simple question here, is the pricing of the Further Education store different to the pricing of the Higher Education store?

Obviously you can access the further education store from your home computer, whereas the higher education needs you to be connected to your Universitys network, which is making me think there must be some kind of difference or it wouldnt matter right? Also I am talking about the UK store if that is any different.

Thanks for any help!

2. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

In the US there's only one education discount across the board. I'd imagine it's the same.

3. JBST, Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012

JBST macrumors newbie

No it is not the same in the UK.

Further education you have a lesser discount amount ~6% on macbooks

High Education you have a much steeper discount ~15% on macbooks

E.g. Take the new 2012 macbook air 11/1.7/128SSD/4GB as an example
    Normal price = 929 GBP
    Further Edu = 873.6 GBP
    Higher Edu = 799.2GBP
    (All price inclusive of VAT)

There is a very good post about different types of education discount available in the UK in a previous post by another member (credit to iStudentUK)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1103022&highlight=he+discount

4. Igantius macrumors 65816

As JBST says the thread they've linked to has plenty of information - one thing that's worth a particular mention is that buying through the HE Store also gets you a three-year warranty free.

Althought it's a bit of a moot point now because of the rise of the Mac Store for software, in the UK when you bought an education version of Apple software (e.g. Final Cut Studio), you were actually getting the normal, upgradable version but at a vastly reduced rate. In the States, the education version was non-upgradable. As I say, it's a moot point now, but thought it was mentioning to show that it doesn't pay to assumed what's the case in one nation, will be the same for another.

5. BenMero thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys, managed to find a link last night on how to access the HE store from home, very happy!

Planning on buying the new 13" MBA next month, and have gone from thinking I would be paying £940(FE) down to £860(HE)! :D Considering just going for the higher spec 13" now, or wait another month and get the Retina and have zero money when it comes to starting Uni in September.. Oh the temptation

6. tekilla macrumors member

Linky please :D

7. BenMero thread starter macrumors member

http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_5000691/?cid=AOS-EMEA-AOC-UK

Thats the link of my Uni, however if you go here and find yours if you're a student you'll be able to get the number (this one is 5000691 for example) and change it to yours, im pretty sure theyre all the same though..

8. JBST macrumors newbie

I noticed the same phenomenon after originally browsing apple higher edu store on the phone from uni network and got out of range leading to switch to mobile network. And guess what?? consistent with the info suggested by BenMero, it works for browsing.

Having said that I have only placed orders when I am actually on the Uni network. Never tried to place orders when I am not. So not sure will that get declined etc. I guess it is probably at the own risk.

9. iStudentUK, Jun 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2012

iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Remember the HE discount includes a free 3 year warranty as standard. I don't think that's the case with FE discounts.