Higher heart rate kills recording hr

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by YenkoEric, Jul 2, 2016.

1. YenkoEric macrumors newbie

If I am doing something that evaluates my heart rate over 115 or so the watch no longer records my heart rate. It works fine in Workout mode no mater how high my hr goes, but I do things like mow the yard etc that I have no hr data for.

Is this normal? If so.... why? Is there a workaround so it records my heart rate during these times?

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

3. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

A few thoughts...

Is it in workout mode while mowing? If not, it will only record a HR every 10 minutes if it also does not detect motion in your arm. So, it may be your arm activity causing the reading to defer.

Second, mine struggles while mowing (and in workout mode) unless I tighten it up a notch from my normal position. So you might try tightening it up.

4. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

Good response. My guess is that mowing the lawn and not in workout mode would not record your heart rate at all or at best, sporadic because of movement.

I will say this, the heart rate monitoring has been perfect for me with OS3. I have not lost a single measurement over 11 workouts now. Two hour golf outings has recorded my heart rate continuously without a single miss. I've always had success, but with OS2, only my walks had a 100% perfect reading. Now, all of my workouts have been perfect. That includes a few rounds of golf in 90 degree weather and very humid and weight lifting.

I'm not sure what they fixed, but I hope those who gave up on the monitoring with the watch alone because of past failures have success with OS3.

5. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

My lawn takes about 45mins to an hour to mow. Gives me credit it for all of it. Bummer for y'all.

6. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

My lawn takes 2-3 hours on a riding mower. I've used an UP and UP24 and a Fitbit and Apple Watch while mowing. The UP was the worst for credit as it gave me credit for going 5 miles. The Fitbit wasn't much better as it gave me credit for 2-4 miles and the Apple Watch wasn't much better but at least less. I mowed today and it gave me credit for 45 minutes of exercise, 250 calories and 1.5 miles :). This might cause some people with OCD to not wear the watch while mowing. :)

They all seem to struggle with mowing on a riding mower and even boating. I don't use the workout so I don't know about heart rate readings.

7. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

lol - I push mow.

8. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

That's a workout. Mine can be done with a beer. Lol