Higher model 15" Unibody MBP and screen question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NStocks, Feb 2, 2009.

1. NStocks macrumors 65816

I have been given the option to refund my base model 15" (2.4GHz) unibody MBP, to upgrade to the 17". After thinking long and hard I think it may just be better to get the higher 15" (2.53GHz) model but I'm still very much undecided.

Those who have the standard config 2.53GHz model have you got/had any screen bleed or is the panel in this unit exactly the same as the one in the lower model ?

The reason I ask because if it's different than I would prefer paying just over £200 for a better unit ( which is the faster 15" ) than over £450 ( which is the 17" after I get refunded for my unit ), and I just miss out on the battery life, a USB port and extra size screen.

Thank You

2. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

The screens in both 15" models are going to be exactly the same.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

4. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

u should upgrade and pay for a 17 incher.

5. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

They use 2 different suppliers for the panels though..

6. Crash1234 macrumors regular

Both models of the 15inch are going to have the same panels. There are different suppliers for the panels so the screens are going to be different from computer to computer. I think the suppliers are lg and chi mei both of which have light bleed issues. Not ALL the panels have bleed issues, but it seems a lot do. My point was just that, no matter what, you're going to have the possibility of getting bleed issues in the 15inch mbp regardless of model or screen manufacturer.

7. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

I had the 2.53ghz 15" model and the backlight was bleeding out of all four sides of the screen. It was most apparent with dark content on the screen, and not really noticeable otherwise but it was there nonetheless.

I have since returned it because I want the higher resolution of the 17" and I'm hoping the new ones aren't like that as well. There really is no excuse for it. 15"-17" LCDs aren't anything new, and when you're spending $1,999-2,799 on a laptop, it shouldn't be an issue.

8. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

I Know technology today!

Well I think that paying to upgrade to the higher 15" is more reasonable, but there is still a very high chance ( from what I've had so far ), that it will have screen issues...

I'm going to look around and see what I will be able to get for my PC, but chances are since were in a recession, I won't even get close to half the money I paid for it. ( 3 years ago it cost me £1,000, custom built, I think it will bring about £300 max ! )

NStocks