Higher Pixel Density and older eyes...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Ubuntu, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Hi all,

Yes, this is a iPad 2 or 3 question! Normally I wouldn't ask but I'm looking to buy an iPad for my mum. She's not great with technology so she doesn't care if it's the latest thing (hence going for the iPad 2) but as she's in her golden years now her eyesight isn't as good as it used to be and she wears glasses most of the time now. Do you think the iPad 3's rumoured Retina display would be good for her, as the screen would be finer? Or would the iPad 2's screen be good enough?

Thanks,
    Ubuntu.

2. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

It won't make any difference to her, as iOS text rendering is resolution independent.

Meaning; if she can read on the iPad 2, she'll be just as able to read on the iPad 3.

3. WilliamG macrumors 604

In more simple terms: What she sees will be exactly the same, just with more pixels forming what is seen. In fact, it might be more accurate to say that if she can read on an iPad 2, an iPad 3 will be even easier for her to read on! Sharper, thus clearer text. :)

4. donnaw macrumors 65816

Being an 'older' person myself (60) I can tell you that I doubt it will make a difference. There are many times I have to zoom in to enlarge text in order to read it but it's still plenty sharp enough to read. And I too wear my reading glasses most of the time.

If you think she would enjoy and iPad I say don't wait. Go ahead and give her an iPad and let her begn to enjoy using it now. When you get to be our age you really can't afford to keep waiting for the next big thing. Today is much more important than what might become available tomorrow since we never know if we will even see 'tomorrow'.

BTY, lucky lady to have a nice son who is not only thinking about what she would like but how much she will like it.

Happy Holidays!

5. darster Suspended

You can change text size under general, accessibility.