iPad Higher ppi?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Samtb, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Samtb macrumors 65816

There have been rumours that Apple Will release devices with even higher ppis than what they currently have but do you think there's a point? The current retina display is already well beyond HD on iPads, which is a very small device compared to TVs.

2. shenfrey macrumors 68000

Ipad mini will have more then ipad 4 just because its a smaller screen, which is why the iphone 5 will have more then either of them. Why? I don't know the technical reason, I just know that this is the case.

3. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

If the iPad mini is given a retina display it'll have the exact same ppi as the iPhone 4, 4S and 5.

And to the OP, no, I don't think there's a point in Apple releasing devices with even higher ppis than what they currently have. And where exactly has this been rumoured?

4. shenfrey macrumors 68000

Do they even need to? How much better can it get? Even increasing the resolution will cause diminishing returns because the small screens can only fit so much.

5. syd430 Guest

Shorter typical viewing distance on smaller devices. Also, avoids fragmentation by keeping the same OS on multiple device sizes

6. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Higher ppi on larger screens will mean higher resolutions. It's already a nightmare to cater for what we already have with respect to app development.

7. mouser45 macrumors member

I doubt they will for quite some time.

Other devices are well over Apples ppi and look sharper, though.

In b4 "rentina" argument

8. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

There's full HD smartphones now but can they be that much better?

In b4 "rentina" argument[/QUOTE]

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

When the Mini gets Retina it will have a higher ppi than the iPad4 so there's that.

While just scaling up iPad2 graphics to the iPad4 produces noticible artifacts, its quite possible that scaling ipad4 graphics to an even higher res won't be noticible. In that case text and vector graphics will benefit without the issues scaling up ipad 2 graphics would have caused.

10. takeshi74 macrumors 601

HD and PPI are two entirely different things.

11. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

I think they will release higher PPI devices and computers over time. Both because video is moving to support the new 4k and 5k formats and because right now they are calculating on the 'long' end of usage distances and eventually they will want to bring that in so more folks can have the crisp and clean images and text experience

That said, they won't do it before the tech is there. Apple has shown that they prize battery life and performance stability over being able to spec wank. So if putting in a 4k compatible screen into an iPad means you will be lucky to get the 2 hours needed to watch a whole movie then forget it. Apple won't ruin their quality rep over being able to say they have a 4k screen in the device.

Nor are they likely to destroy their profit margins on devices to include such currently costly tech.

Same with even just a retina iPad Mini.

The wise move is to not get your hopes up about seeing anything like this for another 2-3 years. If Apple can make it happen sooner, awesome

12. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

The current ppi of the ipad is well beyond the ppi of any full HD screen of the same size or larger than ipad. That's quite impressive.