Higher Quality Video Converter?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacproUser2011, Jun 30, 2011.

1. MacproUser2011 macrumors newbie

Im Currently using MIRO Video Converter from the Mac App Store. However, it seems when I convert .AVI files to .MP4 the quality reduces. Are there any other (Preferably Free) Video Converters that don't have this issue?

Thanks!

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. JoshBoy macrumors 6502

JoshBoy

tried them all.

handbrake is the best. I have tried everything including expensive software from Roxio. Handbrake is by far the best - a little clunky in relation to the UI but best results and its free. I have converted well over 500 movies in it for my idevices.

4. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

Video Monkey is pretty good too, but nothing tops Handbrake.

5. pandafan macrumors newbie

i am using sothink video converter, which is free and very easy to use.

6. cleaners macrumors newbie

re

Freemake Video Converter is designed without any limitations, hidden costs, sneakware or adware! This is freeware of new level, which offers a quality alternative to paid products.

7. moxy1980 macrumors newbie

Hey, I have downloaded the Handbrake application, but when i try to add .avi files as the source then it fails.

I am just getting into this...I downloaded the file using UTorrent and have placed it in the movies section of Places, but can't get Handbrake to recognise it?

8. coops macrumors regular

I imagine ALL converters will degrade the quality - the same as if you convert an mp3 file to something else...

You're re-sampling an already re-sampled file... if you have the original DVDrip or ISO image then you can convert it to mp4 or whatever at an equivalent quality level no problem with ANY suitable software... every time it's converted you lose information which cannot be recovered (unless you're converting to a lossless compression like FLAC for audio as an example).

Best you can do is choose a high bitrate to keep the quality loss as low as possible... but it will be a bigger file and worse quality than if you had converted direct to that format from the source material.