Higher Resolution 15" MBP w/ next update?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TruthSerum44, Mar 25, 2008.

1. TruthSerum44 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I was just curious what you thought the chances were of the next MBP update (likely to occur sometime between June and September or so) including a higher resolution 15" display.

2. skiesforme macrumors 6502

skiesforme

I think that would happen for sure ! (in the next 4 months at max)
    I got a question, is this (Maximum resolution) a hardware thing or it can be fixed by device drivers ?

3. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

I wouldn't mind higher resolution screens. Not sure if it will happen though

4. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

You'd hope Apple would at least offer a 1680x1050 option for the 15" MBP as you can buy laptops from other manufacturers such as Dell that give you a whopping 1920x1200 option in that small a screen!

A resolution of 1680x1050 on a 15.4" screen would give you a DPI of 128 which is close to the 133dpi on the 17" Hi-Res model so it's not like it's ridiculously over the top or anything. Considering the more professional users of the MBP's and their desire for multitasking it's suprising Apple don't offer this option already.

It's definitely a HARDWARE issue, i.e. the screen is the only thing in the way of a higher resolution. The graphics card is powerful enough to give you 2560x1600 on a 30" monitor.

Some people though have come up with their own solutions to this problem which you may find very useful indeed:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=207751

5. fredrickyoon macrumors regular

fredrickyoon

6. cult hero macrumors 6502a

cult hero

It's what I've been holding out for...

Max resolution is a hardware limitation of the monitor. (I mean, it can be the video card, but the limiting factor in this case and generally anymore is an LCD monitor.) On an LCD you—quite literally—have a certain number of pixels to work with. Anything less is interpolated.

The current 15" runs at 1440x900 but the 17" has the option of having a 1680x1050 resolution or if you upgrade 1920x1200. The latter is more expensive. I really wish the 15" had the option to upgrade the screen resolution, even at an additional cost like the 17".

I currently own a MacBook and, while I'm very happy with it, I'm not really what one would call a "road warrior." At home it stays connected to an external monitor and keyboard when I'm not in bed and I take it to job sites and set it up at a desk. I rarely fly and when I do I'm generally reading a book, not working on a project. The main reason I own a MacBook and not a MBP is primarily because I found the price for the 15" MBP with its resolution to be just a bit excessive for what I was willing to pay. Basically, if I feel like I have a neutered resolution I'd rather have a smaller machine.

Although, 1440x900 would be awesome on a MB—even at a price bump or perhaps make that the stand out feature of the BlackBook rather than, literally, a $50 price bump for the color. At least on the Pro models, I don't know why they don't offer better resolution—at least an an option or something—on the 15" models.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The possibility of Apple give use a high res 15 is the same as they don't. No one will know for sure. Also there are a few of 1900x1200 LCD panels available for the 15-inch. Yes they are expensive and I don't think Apple wants to invest in something only a handful will buy. These panels are also IPS which makes them even more expensive.

8. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I'd love a 15" 1680x1050 screen. The 17" is just too large for an all around portable but the 1440x900 resolution on the 15" can be limiting at times. Give me a 15" 1680x1050 thinner lighter laptop and I'll be in notebook heaven.

9. cult hero macrumors 6502a

cult hero

I don't know if there's much of a market for 1920x1200 at 15". I don't think I'd even care for it. But 1680x1050 doesn't seem too out there. I haven't done a lot of window shopping, but it's available in that size range from just about everyone else under the sun. I find that 1440x900 just isn't enough for a 15" laptop—particularly at the cost of the MBP.

1280x800 is kinda weak on the 13.3" books, but it works for me. I'd really like to see all the Mac laptops take a step up in the resolution department except maybe the white MacBooks since I'm sure it'd be a cost saving measure. Ironically, if they bumped up the resolution on the MacBooks to 1440x900 I'm not sure if I'd take the Pro or the MacBook at that point! Dedicated video for gaming is nice, but I really dig the 13.3" form factor—in fact, I appear to be one of the few who prefers it to my old 12" PowerBook—and the MacBooks are cheaper.

I picked up a BlackBook last February and I love it though. (I don't know if it's the move to Intel or what, but it seems a little less stable than my old PowerBook.) So by the time I actually feel the need to upgrade again we'll be on OS X.7 and the 13.3" books will be sporting 1920x1200!

10. Dreamail macrumors 6502

Blu Ray?

Everyone's hoping that the next MacBook Pro revision will gain Blu Ray drives.

Yeah right.
    So we get a 15" MacBook Pro model which can play 1080p High Definition DVDs - on a screen that can't even display 1920x1080 pixel...

Wouldn't that suck? Like driving a Porsche with a cheap car engine.

At least to me this doesn't make sense. And it would seem quite ridiculous that you need to hook your Blu Ray MacBook Pro up to an external screen in order to actually view 1080p Blu Ray DVDs. If I need an external monitor anyway I might as well get an external Blu Ray player...

On the other hand I can understand that 1920x1200 is not for everyone on a 15" display. (Unless Resolution Independence finally happens and really works as advertised.)

But I'm a firm believer that with an optional Blu Ray drive comes an optional 1920x1200 display. So people who want to watch 1080p DVDs can.

Everything else seems just wrong. Like a notebook with 8GB of RAM - for all those big apps - but only 20GB of harddisk space.

11. Sogo macrumors 6502

I was really hoping that they were going to update the screen resolution on the last update. I really really was. I have always hatted the resolution because it has always been so bloody small for me. If they do upgrade to a new screen size on the next update, I wont be angry, i will just be disappointed. Namely because its something I have personally always wanted. I say bring on the new resolution screens!