Higher resolution iPhone 5 or dissapointment?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by realitycheck69, Sep 24, 2011.

1. realitycheck69 macrumors member

Anyone else feel this way?

Of course if it stays 3.5 inches (which is HIGHLY unlikely) it will be DOA.

With 720p phones right around the corner, the iphone resolution will lag behind. What's the point of a larger screen without more pixels? You can't see more.

Hopefully we will be looking at a bump in resolution along with a larger screen.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's no big deal to me either way. I still use a 3GS and I don't complain about the resolution at all.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

What is really unlikely is that it will be DOA regardless of what it is

4. Ksizzle9, Sep 24, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2011

Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

I don't think it will change this time, as with anything that has greet specs, they don't mean anything if the parts they use or are pushed by the specs are any good. I've seen and played with all the new qHD screens, and while nice, they don't touch the retina in quality. I know it's a slightly lower res but thT shouldn't matter. Take the Samoled plus screen, far lower resolution screen but is as good, or real close to the retina. So no need for disappointment yet. At least not til we know what the next gen iPhone will really be. I'm sure that companies like HTC, THAT ARE coming out with the first 720p screens will have a good resolution but use low quality screens so it won't matter. I've seen slot of the newer phones and there screens just look like junk compared to the iPhones. So male of it whet you will. Sorry if this is jumbled together, I'm typing it on my iPad while waiting I line at the bank.

Edit 2: they could release a iPhone that didnt have a screen or just a screen with a resolution or 100x25 and if it had the apple logo, it would sell as good or better as any other phone out there more than likely. Sad, but plenty of people that don't come to macrumors don't care about specs, only the piece of fruit on the back.

5. realitycheck69 thread starter macrumors member

I agree the pentile screen are crap, but that's not what I am talking about.

The new 720p screens are H-IPS and the like. Then there is the Galaxy note with 1280x800 amoled.

6. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Apple could reduce the size of the screen and it won't be DOA. Once they sprinkle that unicorn dust on it, all bets are off.

The iPhone is a fine honed instrument and people appreciate that and will buy it en masse reguardless.

7. realitycheck69 thread starter macrumors member

trolling?

8. brodas macrumors regular

720p phones will be coming in like 2years and they are gonna be big like the samsung note 5 inches and above

9. realitycheck69 thread starter macrumors member

10. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I'm dead serious.

I don't know.. these Android "super phones" seem to be as much vapor-ware as the iPhone 5 at this point. And when they do show up they usually cripple it with a underpowered battery.

11. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

I thought the Note had a 2500 mAh battery. Not bad. If it really coming out next month, I might actually wait before getting the 5.

12. brodas macrumors regular

LTE + Android +720p = disaster
    Also I don't think the vigor will have 720p I think only the note will this year

13. kre62 macrumors 68000

I think these giant phones are ridiculous and I laugh at anyone who is actually considering one. 4" is the max, after that go get a tablet.

And the disappointment would be if Apple increased the res. Then all the current apps would look like ass and the devs would have to modify all the artwork. Unnecessary when the res is already sky high. Dont lust after specs for specs sake only.

14. realitycheck69 thread starter macrumors member

LTE + Android +720p sounds pretty good to me.

So you first said 720p phones weren't coming out for 2 more years, now you are ok with that? How many articles do I need to link about the vigor's 720p screen for you to accept that?

----------

Who wouldn't redesign their artwork?

15. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Good to see more people that think everyone should share their opinion.

And I have no idea where you received your education, but 5.3" is not anywhere close to 9.7/10.1". And I laugh at anyone who considers them similar.

16. kre62 macrumors 68000

Never said they were similar in size. I am saying that the idea of carrying around a huge screen phone defeats the purpose. It's a mobile device, something to bridge the gap between when youre at your computer and on your laptop. By design it should be small and portable. Not something that pokes out of the top of your pocket. Stupid.

17. realitycheck69 thread starter macrumors member

Do you wear skinny jeans by chance or have small hands?

18. aztooh macrumors 6502a

"4" is max, after that go get a tablet"

Those are your words. Anything over 4" and you might as well just use a tablet. Brilliant. Maybe 5.3" is big for you, that's fine. Doesn't mean it is for everybody. I'm 6'2", don't wear skinny jeans...and my phone spends a lot of time in jacket or coat pockets rather than jean/pants pockets anyway...but the Note wouldn't be sticking out of the top of any of my pockets. Since you want to throw out the term 'stupid', it's stupid to assume how a product fits for people you don't know.

19. Savor Suspended

Savor

That Samsung Note is starting to look intriguing for me and this is coming from someone who thought 4-inches was the most ideal based on form factor. Note has the throwback size of yesteryear but with modern specs. The Apple Newton (the first PDA) was even bigger.

Like Jack Nicholson once said in The Departed, "It don't add inches to your ****, but I am tired of phones catered for Japanese girl hands. I am sorta think out of the norm for my next phone and get a big man's phone like the Note.

Why not go all-in with a 5.3-inch screen phone? No guts, no glory! Big phone/small tablet tweener and biggest phone I've seen since the Saved By The Bell years. It is like going to the TV section and going for the biggest screen available and the right price. The most logical step after 3.5 inches is going BIGGER. Not smaller. I just hope it comes to AT&T with a subsidized price because unsubsidized over $1000+ is ridiculous. I may never go back to sub-5 inch screens again. I have been driving in SUV for three years and it is hard for me to go back driving a smaller car. The Note is for a required tasted right now. It is like people like me who rock to Slayer. Some will hate them, and some will love them. My love for them is testosterone-driven. Male pride. This is a very aggressive move by Sammy and I am starting to like it.

Since I carry my phone in a belt holster and not in my pocket, the size may not bother me too much. I would need to feel it against my waist first to judge. It could be too tall or wide that it gets annoying when I sit down.

Sammy and Apple who are both locked into a legal battle look to win awards for 2011. I was never a fan of Samsung, but they look to win the 2011 manufacturer award over HTC from last year while Apple continues to win best cell phone with their iPhones.

Apple + Samsung = Greatest frenemies.

Samsung Galaxy Note hands on (versus iPhone 4)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfGO5QhWO1w

^^ Hope Sammy cleans up some of that lag.

[​IMG]

20. Savor Suspended

Savor

Maybe I am just as shallow as you and should start laughing at people who drive Japanese commuter cars like a Civic since I drive a SUV now. And a Civic was my first car, btw. Maybe we should laugh at the people who drive big pickup trucks who would crush our cars like a Bigfoot. Maybe we should laugh at people who have a bigger HDTV than us. Maybe we should laugh at guys who have a bigger "junk" than us. Or women with small boobs should start laughing at ones with a bigger rack than them <- I would be smiling more in that one. :D

Who cares, man? You are just being judgemental for people with a different taste than you. Not everybody was born with the same mindset or physical attributes. Not ONE SIZE fits all. Ask basketball players. Even some girls like it BIGGER whether with the wallet or in bed. That's what she said, remember? :p

Note is for a required taste. I doubt it will be popular as an iPhone, but at least it caters to certain people's needs. The Nintendo Game Boy and Sega Game Gear were bigger. There was a time when a PDA like the Palm Pilot was just as big and nobody was complaining.

21. kre62 macrumors 68000

LOL at people getting riled up because I stated my opinion. Thats my opinion, and if you have a different one, congrats. Move forward with your opinion.

22. -iKris- macrumors regular

The resolution is already way more than I need. All I care about is a bigger screen. A 4" screen and I get the new iphone. Smaller than 3.7" and I might start looking elsewhere (I hope I don't have to though).

23. musika macrumors 65816

musika

Thank you! I too, use a 3GS still... Spoiled iP4 owners on here and all over the web are starting to get to me.

24. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

The resolution was doubled for the iP4, so things got clearer, but you don't see any extra content on the screen than you did before. The thing about Android phones, is that the resolution can be anything the manufacture wants, and apps will fit to the screen, and more content will be displayed.

Personally, I wish the next iPhone would be like the Note. Pocketable, big screen, and a high resolution that actually displays more content. It'd be like an iPad Nano