Higher resolution = more screen real estate?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BINXER, Jun 13, 2010.

1. BINXER macrumors newbie

I tried searching the forum but I couldn't find anything on this. I was listening to engadget's podcast, and they were talking about the iPhones retina display. Joshua Topolsky was asking if the new screen would allow more things to be seen compared to previous iPhones (think of a list... higher resolution should allow you to see more in a given area). The other people seemed to think that it wasn't true.

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Yes, I think that you will see more content in web pages and such. My 17" MacBook has the resolution of a 24" monitor and thus allows for more content on the screen.

3. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Yes and no.

When laptops have higher resolutions, text and menus usually get smaller. This won't be the case with the iPhone. Things will be the same "size", they will just be sharper.

Some app designers might take advantage of the resolution, though, and put more info on the screen.

The main limitation with this stuff is the fact that it has to be big enough to be readable and big enough to touch with your finger.

4. Chrysaor macrumors 6502

No, the screen is still 320x480 points, but it has 4 times as many pixels, resulting in much clear image.

5. Storm Shadow macrumors regular

The resolution is higher so yes there is more screen real estate. I think Apple have kept the user interface the same size from a useability point of view.

If they used smaller UI elements to fit more on the screen it would lose some of the awesome ease of use that the iPhone is known for.

Not sure what developers will do though, and whether Apple will consider these things when assessing apps to go in the App Store

6. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

no. as was explained on the engadget podcast, apples goal is readability and clarity. everything will be exactly the same, but sharper.

7. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

No the screen has nothing to do with 320X480 any more. But in a way your right, the interface of the phone it self everything will still seem the same size. When in reality its 4X larger (in terms of pixels)

To add to the OP's original question, I don't think we will feel the urge to zoom all the way in on a column of text on a webpage, because It will be readable when zoomed out, small, but readable.

8. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

These "points" are pixels. App designers will have control over the design of their apps using all 960x640 pixels. There is no 480x320 "point" restriction in the SDK for iPhone 4 apps.

That being said, apps which utilize a non-standard UI (meaning custom elements, and not Apple's own) can fully take advantage of the new resolution, and essentially fit four times as much content on the device's screen. However, Apple's own apps, and apps which follow Apple's design guidelines, will only use the new resolution by displaying sharper elements, at the same size as before.

9. Sawyer7 macrumors newbie

look at this, guys. Increadible shows in the browser the same amount of information as Evo does cause they both have got 800^480.

[​IMG]

I mean, the only thing which matters in browsers is resolution, but not the real screen size.
    I guess we'll see more things in Safari using the iPhone 4.

Attached Files:

10. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

In the real world, yes. In Apple land, not necessarily. IIRC, when Steve Jobs launched Safari, on both the iPhone 4 and 3GS, the same amount of data was on both screens.

11. Sawyer7 macrumors newbie

12. mbell75 macrumors 6502

You have to be blind not to notice the page on the Incredible is much more smashed together and narrow. Would make it more difficult to read.

13. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

Like I said, higher resolution, yes, but more info on the screen (for Apple apps), no.

14. Sawyer7 macrumors newbie

of course the font size in Increadible is little smaller. but the amount of data is the same.

15. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

In order to add any more functionality, your fingers would have to be half the size. :)

16. synagence macrumors 6502a

Yes you could fit more text onto a screen now and with the higher pixel density it will be readable, but things like UI buttons etc will have to be the same size (albeit of higher resolution) as controls can't get smaller without becoming unusable.

I'm just looking forward to everything have additional clarity ... should be very nice looking at the shots posted all over.

17. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    That's because Safari always defaults to showing the entire page.

However, on the iP4, it'll be much sharper and more of a page can be readable without zooming as much.

Which is one reason why people are buying the EVO for its larger screen.

Sometimes more PPI isn't the answer. I mean, we could print a poem on the head of a pin, but it's not as easy to read as when doing it on a larger surface :)

As another example, the iPad's much lower PPI screen is more usable for many things than the iPhone's much smaller screen, albeit not as sharp.

This.