Higher Resolution with Matrox DualHead2Go and MBP 17"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by frugme, Oct 11, 2007.

1. frugme macrumors newbie

Hi

I saw threads in my search where people have asked before about running two external monitors off of a MacBookPro and were referred to the Matrox DualHead2Go, but I did not see any actual users' results.

I have gotten the Matrox DualHead2Go Digital to hook up to a 17" MacBook Pro. I can get it to work, but I can not seem to get the resolution higher than 2560 x 1024 across the two external displays, which is blocky and a bit big for my needs. Has anyone used this product and gotten higher resolutions to run?

Thanks

2. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Are your monitors connected with an analog input or digital? Also, what is the maximum resolution of the displays?

3. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

In order for the DualHead2Go to go higher than 1280x1024 per screen, BOTH screens need to be connected via DVI. (And, of course, support higher than 1280x1024 resolution.)

Also note that the "DualHead2Go Digital Edition" actually connects to the computer via analog VGA, while the connection to the monitors is digital DVI.

The "TripleHead2Go Digital Edition" can use a DVI connection to the computer, as well. This generally makes for a cleaner signal, even if you're only using two of its three monitor connections. (It can support 3 1280x1024 or 2 1920x1200 displays. And yes, 2 1920x1200 produces more total pixels than 3 1280x1024.)

4. frugme thread starter macrumors newbie

Both monitors (ViewSonic VX2025wm) are connected to the Matrox via DVI. Of course, as the above poster pointed out, the Matrox Digital mysteriously only has VGA out, so I have a DVI adaptor hooked up to that.

No matter what the maximum resolution is on the monitors, I know the recommended is 1680 x 1050, which is what I was running my Windows box on them at.

When I try to increase the resolution above 1280 x 1024 the monitors go to displaying an "out of range" message. Most of the reports I find online say that this setup just worked. I can't find anyone having the same problem as I am.

5. uraniumwilly macrumors 6502

Did you ever find out what the problem was?

I just set up my own digital Dualhead2go (17"MBP w 2 Apple 23's") and found it didn't work at the outset. After many head scratchings I started just doing random things until I clicked on "show displays in menu bar" and for some reason after that I was able to select the appropriate resolution.

Compared to the expensive alternatives I've been happy with it, generally speaking. I have 2 constant problems though, 1) after putting the Mac to sleep the Dualhead2go monitors stay asleep; 2) The monitors flash on occasion while working in Logic.

6. itsallinurhead macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

Sorry this is an old thread, but do any of you have the problem of the screens not turning on when the computer wakes from sleep?