Higher (twice as much) data usage with Iphone4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by utopia699, May 6, 2011.

1. utopia699 macrumors newbie

Hi,

got my Iphone4 about 2 months ago and notice twice the data usage as with my Iphone3g. I have days of data usage with about 400MB (I was watching some hdvideos with youtube), but also for example 5 minutes of browsing pictures (no full size) in google picture search (mobile version!) generates about 5mb of data usage? Is this normal?

For example I load MacRumors Forums page in Safari, hit the Todays Posts and look at one thread which altogether generates 1MB of data? Although there are no pictures?

Also Maps uses a lot of data. I open maps and load a new location, zoom out so you can see the whole city which generates 10MB of Data? Within 3-4 minutes?

Is it normal that Engadget/Gizmodo full site needs about 2-3MB to load? Or that a 2 minute trailer with the Youtube webapp needs 10MB of data?

Thanks!

2. b0blndsy macrumors 6502

Just keep a check on youtube and maps usage, otherwise normal browsing don't use much data.

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

id say the video is the killer especially HD, i dont stream when not on wifi so just random safari searching and a few messenger apps and i use close to 500MB a month

4. utopia699, May 7, 2011
    Last edited: May 7, 2011

utopia699 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tips with video streaming.

I understand that a 20 minute youtube video in hd can be around 200 mb big. But why does loading MacRumors Forums page in Safari, hiting the Todays Posts and looking at one thread generate 1MB of data? Although there are no pictures?

Edit: just loading this thread is 0.4 Mb, is this possible?

5. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

iPhone 4 has faster data speeds than previous iPhones but I didn't find any jump in data. When I had iPhone 3G and it was my only Internet connection (no tethering) to outside world. I used up 4.2GB data in a month. Now, I used up 5.2GB on iPhone 4 and tethered.

6. calvy macrumors 65816

Each picture I take with my iPhone 4 is about 1.5MB to 2 MB. simply emailing and uploading them to Facebook probably doubled my data consumption when switching from a 3GS.

7. utopia699 thread starter macrumors newbie

i had about 1.5 GB data usage with my Iphone3G and would use more than my 3GB limit if i would use my Iphone4 like i did with my 3G...
    since the iphone4 is faster i am maybe able to do more tasks and therefore use more data...

i dont do much uploading... but i think the hd youtube videos and higher resolution images are mainly to blame for my higher data usage...