Highest capacity HD for 2nd drive in MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BasilFawlty, Mar 20, 2012.

1. BasilFawlty macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

I'm thinking about replacing my suerdrive in my 13" Mid 2011 MBP with a second HD (Already replaced the main drive with a 500GB Seagate Hybrid). I'd then just but an external super drive for this rare occassions when I need a DVD or CD accessed.

Anyway, what is the largest capacity, reasonably fast HD that I could plug in that slot (probably using an OWC kit)? Anyone know of any real good deals out there? I'd like to drop in something bigger than 500GB as it will hold my iTunes movies and music.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

miles is wrong 1TB is the limit for 2.5".
    There is one 1.5TB drive but it is not available in retail and too thick with 15mm in any case.

Get a Samsung M8 1TB. The biggest there is fast or faster than the competition and fairly cheap.

4. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

For me, when it comes to HDDs I am big on the WD Scorpio Black. The balance of speed and reliability has made it a drive I give the thumbs up, and its price is very reasonable. With that said, the largest last time I checked was a 750 GB model (@ 7500 RPM w/ 32 MB Cache IIRC). Obviously there are other good HDDs on the market but the Scorpio Black is the one I have had the most direct experience with, which is a lot, and their overall performance has impressed me.

5. rebby macrumors 6502

That would be my recommendation as well. If you need more space, you can always RAID 0 a pair of 1TB drives.

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

7. spacemanps, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012

spacemanps macrumors regular

spacemanps

8. dusk007, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012

dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Nobody really knows. The brands are the only ones that know something by counting warranty cases and they never release any info.
    The only reliable info come from people that deploy lots of those in data centers. Yet in any case you'd need to wait 2 years after release to really have proper statistics.

I have not heard of or read about any significantly higher failure rates than usual for M8. You really don't know until it is 3 years in the market and still it is hard to come by any numbers.
    Storagereview collects some user experience but they don't even let you insert the M8 yet.

Just buy anything that doesn't have a bad rep because of firmware bugs or dead on arrival reports (neither is true for the m8) and backup. There is no reliable reliability info available.

PS: I have one too and it is working so far for about 5 months now.

9. LCTN macrumors newbie

I have a 1TB M8 in my MBP and it's running great. It isn't too noisy, it's reasonably fast, and fairly priced.