Highest capacity MP3 player without video

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dotdotdot, Jun 30, 2009.

1. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

I'm sorry if this isn't the right section, I didn't know what to post this in because it's not about iPods or anything.

Basically, I have a 120 GB iPod that is filled 100% but only of music. I'm going on a school program for a few months that requires us to not have any video players for some reason, but MP3-only players are alright.

I was wondering if anyone knows waht the highest capacity MP3 player without video is?

If there is none, am I able to take an iPod 4G and put a nice sized HD in there or does it need to match Apple's HD as close as possible or some sort of restriction like that?

Edit: i guess it sort of is about iPods, but only at the very end...

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

From what I read (though this was years ago) swapping out an iPod HDD was near impossible. It had to be using some specific details like capacity, serial number, brand etc. I don't think you can go above the original limit for that iPod (so for the 4G that was 40gb? IIRC).

Can't you prove that your iPod has no stored video files?

3. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

My suggestion: Get an iPod Photo(4G) or even a 3G iPod(because they're freakin' cool) with a 20 or 40GB capacity, and just pick and choose the music that you like to hear the most and update/change it as needed. There's absolutely no way you can listen to 120GB of music in one day, or even a week, so just pick what you listen to most and put it on the smaller iPod.

4. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

As far as new models, I think you may be out of luck. Creative has a Zen V model that doesn't do video, but it tops out at 16GB. Most higher capacity models from every company seem to have video now. You can add a new HDD to an older iPod, though.

Here are a couple of links that may help you out or inspire you.

http://joshhighland.com/blog/2005/12/24/replacing-the-hardrive-of-an-ipod/

http://www.command-tab.com/2007/03/11/upgrading-ipod-hard-drives/

The command-tab article also lists different HD models and which model iPod they will fit.