Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klinic

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2011
Hey, I've got a MacBook Pro that is a few months old, I need to take it to Uni pretty much everyday, and I travel quite a lot too, so it gets a bit of wear. Amazingly, it's in perfect condition despite just being carried in a laptop bag, but I want to give it a bit of extra protection.

Any suggestions? I'm willing to pay a bit of a premium, but nothing too absurd. Needs to be able to be shipped to Australia. Thanks.

Last edited:

zilchie

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2011
Many of my friends with the larger MacBook pros (15 and 17) that use hard cases (incase, speck) experience loose hinge after quite awhile due to the extra weight added. I'm not saying it will happen to you buy just keep that in mind

klinic

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2011
Well, I'm open to a sleeve or something. I'm happy to take it out of the case every time I need to use it, but I just want some extra protection while I'm travelling.

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
To me, the hard cases add too much weight. I have a 13", but the case I bought is available in 15" and 17" also. It is the Incase Protective Sleeve Deluxe and I really like it so far. It seemed more padded and protective than the incase neoprene sleeves plus it has a small outside pocked plus the lower corner where the charger plugs in has zipper access to the ports in that area of the computer. I am not sure if it is safe to carry the MagSafe plug in the pocket as I would be afraid of the possibility of it denting the case, but I am going to do some more research on that before I eliminate that possibility. There were several colors in the store, however, and I was specifically looking for a faux fur lining to avoid scratching my case. The black and brown ones had more of a quilted lining while the white/gray one I got has the fur. It also has kind of a pleather feel to it, just feels more protective than anything else they had in a sleeve at the Apple Store, Best Buy, or Sharon Luggage, the three stores where I looked before deciding on this one. The Apple Store also had the Hurley sleeves that felt nice but they were neoprene like the cheaper Incase ones and I liked this deluxe version much better. It's a tight fit, which is what I wanted, and it looks great!

ThaDoggg

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2010
Burlington, Canada
Take a look at booq sleeves. They look great and provide good protection. Personally I don't like cases as they add bulk and take away from the look of the laptop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

klinic

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2011
Seems there's no universal be all and end all MBP sleeve. :/ Which is a shame. I do wonder about the Booq sleeve with the zipper... I'm not sure I want a zipper that close to my Mac...

The Suede Jacket sleeve from SFBags looks pretty simple and promising though.

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Zippers is one of the many things I was looking at when I looked for a case. I wanted a snug fit but didn't want to scratch the MacBook. My Incase has a protective piece inside the zipper so it doesn't touch the computer. I just got my computer the day before yesterday, but the more I have used this case the more I like it! Those sleeves on SFBags do look nice, though.......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.