Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I have the Twelvesouth one and I like it. It gives you the ability to adjust how high you want it. I'm 6'5", so I use it at the highest level and can store things underneath it.

I like it a lot.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
The look of the twelvesouth one makes me cringe but its all up to personal preference. There is also a different one on the Apple store, forget the brand. It, like the grovemade one, allow for you to put your keyboard underneath. I'm going to try it out for its height and then maybe buy the one on the Apple store.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
The look of the twelvesouth one makes me cringe but its all up to personal preference. There is also a different one on the Apple store, forget the brand. It, like the grovemade one, allow for you to put your keyboard underneath. I'm going to try it out for its height and then maybe buy the one on the Apple store.

The Twelvesouth one doesn't photograph well at all. The side profile is also pretty hideous. The front view is pretty nice, reminiscent of the old Mac Pro desktop cases.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
The Twelvesouth one doesn't photograph well at all. The side profile is also pretty hideous. The front view is pretty nice, reminiscent of the old Mac Pro desktop cases.

Ha, that is the first thing I thought and why I wasn't a fan :) But again, it is personal preference.

robertojorge

macrumors regular
May 6, 2014
Portugal
My favorite one is the Twelvesouth.

The looks might not be the nicest one but functionality wise in my opinion is the best. I wanted to buy one for my future iMac the one that i didnt purchased yesterday because of lack of 980m :)

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
If you didn't buy your iMac yet, you could go for the VESA variant. This would significantly increase the number of possible stands.

rebelduck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
Ha, that is the first thing I thought and why I wasn't a fan :) But again, it is personal preference.

I think I'd go for the twelve south hirise hands down if it weren't for the ugly seam on the side and the screws. I really like the ample storage.

I'm also concerned about the finish and the workmanship. I don't want to get something with a cheap finish that easily scratches off. Read some reviews on Amazon about screws not lining up with holes, etc.

The Elevation Stand is tempting as it's a solid block of aluminum with no seams or screws, but the storage is so small and the fact that it just suctions on top makes me nervous.

----------

Really like the look of that Elevation Stand...hadn't seen that one before.

Yeah, it's beautiful. The whole suction thing makes me nervous though.

----------

Post a link if you find it

rebelduck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014

rebelduck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
Yeah, that one.

I'm leaning toward that one now because it is wide enough to stow my wacom tablet underneath which takes up a lot of desk real estate, and i like that it's a solid, seamless piece of aluminum.

My only concern is it's only about half the height as the other ones. I tested it out with books that were the same heights, I definitely prefer the taller height.

theBigD23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
I think I'd go for the twelve south hirise hands down if it weren't for the ugly seam on the side and the screws. I really like the ample storage.

I'm also concerned about the finish and the workmanship. I don't want to get something with a cheap finish that easily scratches off. Read some reviews on Amazon about screws not lining up with holes, etc.

The Elevation Stand is tempting as it's a solid block of aluminum with no seams or screws, but the storage is so small and the fact that it just suctions on top makes me nervous.

The HiRise is a little ugly, but adjusting the height to line up with a Cinema Display is a huge selling point for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.