highlighting issue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ceramoon, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Ceramoon, Jan 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2011

Ceramoon macrumors newbie

Recently I've noticed that when I double click text it won't highlight. I can tap to highlight one word, one click to highlight one word, but when I double click or triple click (or tap) it won't do anything. I've already been in the trackpad section to see if perhaps one of my kids messed around, but all looks good. In addition, I try to double click my little harddrive icon thingy on my desktop and it won't open. ARGH!
    Thoughts?

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Don't know what a "trackpad section" is, but glad it all looks good to you. Maybe if you showed it to an expert, it wouldn't look so good. Now, I'm just assuming you don't consider yourself to be an expert because you came here to ask the question. (Plus the fact that you seem to have invented your own terminology...)

3. samh macrumors 6502

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that Ceramoon examined the trackpad section of System Preferences.

> Have you installed anything like... BetterTouchTools?
    > I know you said you checked the Trackpad settings, but specifically the double-click speed?

4. Ceramoon thread starter macrumors newbie

No, Gregg I don't consider myself an expert, but I can manage fixing most things on my own. Sam, I did check out the trackpad under system prefs and don't think my kids were messing with it (plus they don't have admin rights). It was nothing a simple reboot couldn't fix...shoulda done that first :)

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Glad you got it working. :) The kids have their own accounts, and you don't ever leave the computer when you're logged in under an admin account? Was this problem occurring in all accounts, or just yours? Just wondering...