Highlighting text from images...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by soco, Dec 28, 2011.

1. soco macrumors 68030

soco

For the life of me, I can't figure this out.

I have this task I do at work every week. It involves taking a printed list I recieve by mail and highlighting certain lines of text in it for reference.

Trouble is, I have to do this for 12 double-sided pages. It's horrifying.

There's got to be an easy way to scan these pages to my computer and do this, right? I need to be able to do it with multiple colored highlights.

2. SplicedBanjo macrumors regular

Are you saying you want your computer to sort out what is text and what is image, and recognize the text? Most OCR programs can attempt to do this, but you probably won't get 100% accuracy, especially if the fonts are highly stylized.

3. soco thread starter macrumors 68030

soco

Yes, and the text is super plain. Not stylized at all. It's literally a giant list of names and dates.

I'm going to Google OCR programs.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Do you need to be able to search the text or modify it? Or are you only drawing circles or boxes around parts of the text? If the latter, you can scan the document as an image and annotate it with circles, boxes, arrows and notes using Preview. There is no need to OCR the document unless you need to search, modify or copy text within the document.

5. soco thread starter macrumors 68030

soco

I just need to highlight parts with different colored highlights. I don't need to modify the text at all.

In Preview, or anything else for that matter, can I highlight with "see-thru" color as if it were highlighted with an old fashioned highlighter?

Basically this, using a computer.

[​IMG]

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, not highlighting with Preview, but I'm sure you can use other apps to easily do that. With Preview you can do this:
    aps-highlighting.gif

7. soco thread starter macrumors 68030

soco

See, I need to find those other apps. Maybe I'll play with Photoshop more when I get home.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm sure you can do that easily with Photoshop. It would be easier than messing with OCR technology, which still has a long way to go before it's reliable.

9. soco thread starter macrumors 68030

soco

Noted. Thanks for the help GGJ! :)