Highly Accurate Mouse Needed...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Turkish, May 18, 2007.

1. Turkish macrumors 6502

While I can invest in a Wacos tablet if necessary, I’m interested in getting a mouse that is more accurate than my Mighty Mouse. I have used both the wired and wireless versions – the wireless one jumps and slows down when it comes to hone in on something small (like a close window button), and the wired one isn’t much better.

I do a lot of masking in Photoshop on small areas like windows in homes and small selected areas. What I want is a good, fast and highly accurate conventional mouse with a scroll wheel. Suggestions from folks who use Photoshop all day?

Thanks.

2. munckee macrumors 65816

Sounds like you might need to change your mouse settings to something a little less sensitive. I've never had a problem with jumpy mice (and I also do a lot of detailed PS work). That said, I have a wacom at home and wouldn't go back.

3. Turkish thread starter macrumors 6502

Nah, I've played around with all the settings, believe me. I've been using three different Mighty Mouses for about two years.

Looking for something better.

4. tango554 macrumors member

I just bought a Logitech G5. Great mouse, as long as you're right-handed and you don't really need to use the DPI on-the-fly adjustment. If you're anal about DPI adjustments then don't buy. I use it in photoshop just fine. It says not OSX supported, but all you need is USB overdrive..works perfectly. Don't install the logitech universal drivers, they will not work and conflict with overdrive.

Go here: http://arstechnica.com/reviews/logitech-g5.ars
    And
    Here:http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=302870
    to read about it

Go here to buy, its only $25. ~$30 shipped:
    http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=512466

ps. cavaet emptor, I hate Apple mice.

5. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

If you really want a good mouse, that is very accurate, get the Razer Pro Solutions 1.6. It's worth it and find it personally better then any logitech I have ever used.

6. Evergreen macrumors member

Evergreen

Are you sure the problem isn't the mousing surface? Some textures will cause skipping.

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

IMO, any of the Logitech Laser mice are far superior to the mighty mouse.

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yep. i love them. i've owned or own the MX 1000, MX Revolution, and VX Revolution. although since they do have a laser(as with the wireless MM) you need to make sure you're mouse surface is clear. this is the only reason i have a mouse pad really.

9. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

10. cc bcc macrumors 6502

I have a Logitech G3 (symmetrical, suitable for lefties) which I find is much better than my Razer Pro 1.6. It works on every surface, which the Razer doesn't.

If you have issues with a jumping mouse cursor when moving at slow speeds, I had the same problem. Drove me nuts. What I did to solve it was using USB Overdrive and disabled acceleration. Takes a bit getting used to, but it's more natural in the end. I never miss a pixel now.
    OS X acceleration curve sucks, it's worse than OS 9 and Windows, there is a threshold at low speeds at which it suddenly accelerates.