Highly Recommended: Onyx for a snappier Mavericks experience YMMV

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by W1SS, Nov 5, 2013.

1. W1SS, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013

W1SS macrumors member

W1SS

Hello -

I wanted to share my experience in using Mavericks after installing and running Onyx 2.8.1 (Download Link) specifically with reference to memory use, overall snappiness, trash deletion times, startup/shutdown times including the recently reported keyboard/mouse freeze bug.

Here's what I did with Onyx (Edited to include: Make sure to save your work before running Onyx as it will close all running programs)

1. Under Verifying - ran structure of volume, preference checks and deleted damaged preference files

2. Under Maintenance - ran Permissions (with reset user's home permission option checked), Scripts (with Daily, Weekly Monthly script options checked) and Rebuild (with all options checked excluding 'Appearance of Folders' Content')

3. Under Cleaning (Do not shutdown or restart after executing any of the cleaning options. Just hit click 'Close' and continue with the next cleaning option) - ran System (All options), User (All options), Internet (Selective options), Fonts (All Options), Logs (All options), Misc (Selective options), Trash (Delete)

4. Under Parameters / General, I changed 'Speed of Display of sheets' to Fast and under Parameters / Finder, I turned off Notification Center.

5. Shutdown then carry out a PRAM reset (CMD + OPTION + P + R) twice

6. Boot up, login and wait for Spotlight to finish re-indexing your files (took 5 minutes with MBA 2012) then reboot again.

7. Login and enjoy!

Improvements:

1. Lower memory utilization for the same number of applications I use on a daily basis - With 8GB installed (pre-onyx mem utlization was between 5 and 6 GB and post-onyx mem utilization is between 2 and 3 GB)
    2. UI/Web page loading is much snappier than it was before running Onyx
    3. Trash is emptied faster than before especially with a large number of files (1k+)
    4. Startup/Shutdown times have improved
    5. No Keyboard/Mouse freeze bug

Your mileage may vary...

2. davidlv macrumors 65816

turn off ...

Rather than quote your whole post ...
    "4. Under Parameters / General, I changed 'Speed of Display of sheets' to Fast and Turned off Notification Center."
    I cannot see any place to Turn off Notification center. :confused:

3. W1SS thread starter macrumors member

W1SS

The notification center option is located under the Parameters / Finder tab - I edited my post to reflect the same.

4. davidlv macrumors 65816

Thanks. I really hate that slider for notifications and the notifications too!
    Now its gone!:cool:!

5. ScottishDuck macrumors 6502a

ScottishDuck

You realise this is a bad thing, right?