Highly Specific iPhone Activation Questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nicholie, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Nicholie macrumors regular

Tried searching, don't think these have been covered. Also, can't get my local AT&T store to answer there phone.

If I have someone (Ie: Parents) pre-authorize the credit approval in my name , will I need them or certain information from them come Friday?

Also, will that pre-authorization be valid at both AT&T stores, and Apple Stores?

The reasoning is, I have no credit history. So obviously, i'm having my parents run their credit, under my name for the account. I will be handling the signup entirely on my own, beyond this. My credit card (debit), my name, etc etc.

Any clue? Back to ringing AT&T.

2. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

I dont know how your going to have the account under your name but use your parent's credit ? You could sign up under their name and be an authorized user.

You may want to call AT&T and check because I highly doubt that co-signing is allowed on a phone service.

You never know though...

3. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

for AT&T they told me i had to run my credit or my spouses... and whichever went through it would be in that name

so,...... i dont think the above plan will work running ur parents credit and still having the plan in your name

4. gpb14 macrumors newbie

Are you 18? If you are your should be fine to do it on your own. Signing up for a cell phone isn't the same as buying a new house. No credit is usually enough credit.

5. Nicholie thread starter macrumors regular

I am, and I'd like for that to be the case. Just getting all my ducks in a row like a good Apple Goose.

6. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

Hey, I have a quick question and didn't want to start a whole new thread. If I go to the Apple store and get my iPhone will they still charge me an activation fee? There was another thread about the activation fee and some people said if you just call AT&T they will waive it for you, but I figure I could just go to the Apple store. Stupid question, I know but please help.

7. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

Just go down there and get your credit ran, you might have to put a deposit if not good enough credit.

8. ottergal macrumors member

That's not always true. No credit is no credit and a carrier may ask for a deposit for service. You have to remember that getting a cell phone account is opening an unsecured line of credit.

(my typical caveat goes here: I work for a cell phone company but not AT&T. I don't know their particular guidelines, I can only go by when I ran the credit department for this other carrier)

9. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

As long as you upgrade or a new AT&T customer the upgrade fee of $18 and new activation fee of $36 will apply to you, but you can call CS to request that it be waived.

10. gpb14 macrumors newbie

Good point. I was just going from when I got my cell phone before going to college. I had no credit and that wasn't a problem at all. Then again, AT&T was Cingular Wireless and that was about 10 years ago!

11. Nicholie thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the pointers everyone. I hope AT&T doesn't give me too much heck about it. I mean, I can prove employment (very good employment at that), pretty much anything they want.

I just hate the very concept of "credit".