Highpoint 4320 Raid 5 Initialization

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by oscis, Jul 29, 2009.

1. oscis macrumors newbie

Not sure if anyone else has experienced problems with the this card, but I'm having real problems initializing a Raid 5 array using 4 1TB SATA Hard Drives. I've checked the drives are supported and tried both foreground and background initialization. It seems to fail almost immediately after beginning the process.

I have an early 2008 2.8 8 Core Mac Pro. I've upgraded to the latest EFI bios and the latest system drivers. The Drives are supported and all show ok SMART status.

I've wasted a week of my life trying to get this built now and am getting close to throwing the hole thing out of the window :mad:

I'd depreciate any suggestions!

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

Which drives (P/N's are really needed)?

3. oscis thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for responding.

3 x Hitatchi HDS721010KLA330 and 1 x Samsung HD103UJ. I know that mixing vendors is not ideal..

I've been using the 'maximum size' setting with the web GUI and also tried using a full 3 TB setting of 3145728 and smaller sizes such as 3135242, - this fails too, as does trying raid 6.

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

Have you checked and compared the firware revisions (version on drive vs. the version listed in the compatibility list)?

Hitachi = KAOA70M
    Samsung = 1AA01108

I should warn you, Hitachi is a PITA about firmware. They won't give you a link. You'd have to get it from Highpoint. Not as sure with Samsung's support in this case. :confused:

BTW, have you set the truncation?
    As you've mixed drives, this would be a good idea to set it at 1G.

SAS controllers are rather picky about SATA drives, as the recovery timings are set differently on consumer models than enterprise (0,0 vs. 7,0 respectively). Some consumer models will work, but the firmware revision will make or break you. If these where WD drives, you can set the values with a utility, but I've never been able to get/find them from other drive makers. They want to force you to buy the RAID models afterall... ;) :p

As this is such a problem (stability), I've always recommended using enterprise RAID drives when using RAID. Hardware or software based, though with hardware, it's even more important, as the recovery is handled by the RAID card, not the OS. They can be a tad slower, but they're built to be more reliable, and more importantly, stable when used in a RAID environment. ;)

Running in mixed mode (different drives by different manufacturers) may also be the culprit here, but check the firmware revisions first.

If they both happen to be correct (you may need to contact Highpoint, as anything newer usually works as well, but not always), you could try removing the Samsung from the set, and see if it will build with the 3 Hitachi's.

It's just an idea (and a very likely source of the problem), but check the firmware first. ;) Assuming all 4 drives have the correct firmware, then see if it's the mixed drive environment (pull the Samsung).

If you're in the position you can return the drives, I'd truly recommend this, and get 4 WD RE3 1TB models (WD1002FBYS). These are enterprise RAID models, and are on the Compatibility List. :D

Let me know how you get on with this, and good luck. :)

5. oscis thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks nano! I never thought to check firmware on the HD itself, if it was a router or switch I was having trouble with that would be the first thing I'd check! I'll investigate and speak with Highpoint if I need to.

I'll let you know how it goes :)

6. oscis thread starter macrumors newbie

Victory! :D

I tried with 3x Samsung, then 3x hitachi with no joy.

I then took the boot drive (not running OSX Server) and tried with that - and it worked.

Originally I was booting server from the IDE port so either the driver didn't like IDE or OS X server. I'm guessing the former, but I wouldn't know for sure.

Thanks for your help on this, just the jog I needed to continue troubleshooting :D

I've had no response from Highpoint after opening a support call which is a bit of a shame. But then I don't think they would have been able to sort this based on the information I gave them. Still, I don't think I'd want to rely on any escalation to them in a commercial environment..

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

:cool: I didn't know about the IDE port being used, and wouldn't have thought about it.

Highpoint's not really aimed at professionals IMO, though they do seem to be trying with the 4xxx series. As for support tickets, Atto's really good (also in NY, as is Highpoint). They also can be reached by phone. :eek: :D Areca's staff are also highly knowledgeable, but are located in Taiwan. So it may take a few days to get a response, and due to the language barriers, may seem a bit cryptic (for those really familiar with RAID, it can be figured out, but might confuse a novice for some time).

8. oscis thread starter macrumors newbie

I've to set up and administer RAID more than once in my line of work and in truth I hate it! The worst thing for me is how long it takes to test.. even to reboot a server :mad:

I have to say it's great that Highpoint and others go to the effort of supporting Apple kit. I imagine Apple don't make it easy for anyone to offer hardware support at an enterprise level for anything third party.

I've worked on large networking vendor TACs and currently work in Communications Vendor's NOC so I know more the most the demands of supporting end customers - and these customers tend to be full time product experts - not consumers :eek: so I can understand how many support calls they must get, and don't want to run them down too much..

For the sake of the great forum archive - booting from IDE *may* be your problem!

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

Testing takes a good while (months). :eek: At least if everything gets tested (power, all array types with all stripe settings,...). Definitely an involved, drawn out process. ;) Then there's the software backup solution, which may be another array as well... :rolleyes:

Yeah, the added intialization times do suck for rebooting. :( It drives me crazy as well. ;)

That particular card was designed and manufactured by Areca. Which is where the OS X support really came from. ;) Highpoint does support the products they sell, but doesn't actually design or make any of it. :eek:

RAID gets involved, even for professionals. :( Weird stuff seems to come up often, no matter the experience level. ;) The pressure and repetitive nature of Tech support calls would cause strain on the personnel I'd imagine.

But some companies and individuals do fare better than others. :D