Highschool student which MBP to buy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Piehead, May 11, 2010.

1. Piehead macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I'm a complete newbie to this site, so I'm not to sure if this is in the right spot. Anyways, I am going into grade 11 next year and have been really wanting a MBP. For the past year or two I have been drooling over them in the apple store, or in YouTube videos.

I do not want to buy a PC ever again, because I am sick and tired of all the headaches. I was thinking of finally purchasing a 13 Macbook Pro either the 2.4 Ghz or the 2.66 ghz model. I would be using the laptop for light gaming, like the sims, or COD 4. I would also use it for word processing/ keynote and Internet browsing. I might also do a bit of video editing (HD). Do you think the 13 MBP would handle all my needs. I also have an Acer 22 inch moniter to plug into at home.

I have like 1500 dollars saved up and I want to buy it relatively soon. ( I am from Canada so the prices are a bit higher then in the states.) Should I buy the 13 inch or save up more for the 15 inch with a 2.4 i5? I also want the laptop to last me a good 4 to 5 years.

Cheers,
    piehead

2. shadygrove macrumors regular

Some might disagree, but for all that you said you wanted to do I would go with something that has a discrete GPU, not just an integrated one. I would go with the bottom 15''. At the point of already spending $1500, I wouldn't let 2 or 3 hundred dollars be the deciding factor in the laptop I choose.

That said, you could probably get away with a 13'' but the i5 + discrete GPU would totally be worth the few hundred extra dollars, plus you get a bigger screen.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

13" is good, just don't expect high graphics and FPS

4. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

My vote goes for the 15" as well. For me, I was either going to get an MBP with a descrete GPU or no MBP at all.

5. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I agree. Get the 13". If you're gna do some light gaming, i say just build a PC desktop specifically for it. with the 13" you'll be fine :]

**people would recommend the 2.4ghz over the 2.66, since it won't make much of a difference. with the $200-300, you can buy an SSD :D
    hope this helpd :D

6. Ack macrumors member

To clarify what people are saying about the GPU, the 15" and 17" MBPs have a better GPU than the 13". The better GPU will help your gaming performance a lot, especially if you plan to do any gaming at higher resolutions while connected to your external 22" monitor.

Your choice really comes down to:

1. Whether you'd like the bigger 15" screen vs. the easier portability of the 13"

2. How important gaming performance and the ability to play newer games over the 4-5 years you'll be using this laptop is to you.

7. iamrawr macrumors 6502

iamrawr

if you plan to use for for 4 to 5 years then i'd say you get the 15" for a little more future proofing :)

but if you're waiting for the back-to-school sale this summer maybe you can take a chance and hope for a minor upgrade for the 13" if you wanna go cheaper.